Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

child support

My husband and I are heading for a divorce but neither of us filed yet. Before we got back together, My husband and filed for joint custody of our child. Our child is now two and he is now in the military. When he has the chance to see her, he really don't spend time with her. We're divorcing because he cheated and I was wondering, if I can file for child support since he really won't be in her life like that?

ps He doesn't give me money. He says I have to inform him when I need money...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (12)
  • Yes you can. It doesn't matter if he never spends time with her ( thats his loss btw) he still made her with you and is morally and legally responsible for helping provide for her.

    Answer by rhonda111787 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Of course you can ask for child support! Even if you have joint custody, the parent who is granted primary custody has the right to receive child support. In this case, you obviously have primary custody.

    Answer by CJM_SHM at 6:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • if he cheated you will have a great case for pursuing Alimony, go for that, also go for the child support.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Yes you can file for child support and I would reccomend it.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • if he cannot truly provide joint custody due to his situation, i would recommend that you ask for the order to be revised in addition to requesting support...

    Answer by figaro8895 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Child support has nothing to do with the divorce, it is a separate issue all together. You can have it in the divorce papers, or you can file for it immediately. The bottom line is, as the non custodial parent, he is REQUIRED to contribute to his child financially, whether he sees her or not.

    Answer by jennie495 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • child support is to be paid for by the parent that does not live with the child. visits or not that is irrelevant ,

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 7:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • If your have joint custody then you both have to contribute to the cost of your children. Do you have proof of him cheating? If you have proof and its not hear say then you can get full custody and also. But your husband has rights as a father and he can also get full custody of your child if their is anything wrong with you, depression, uncapable of dealing the child and so fourth.. All you have to do is try.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Yes u can

    Answer by mamaofficer at 8:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • okay first of all is he is full time army once those papers are signed and a court order is made he has no choice but to pay...also if he is full time military go to his commanding officer and let he/she know that you two are separated and he is not helping you (he can get in serious trouble for that)he can not get full custody because he is military who will keep the child when he is gone (so you dont have to worry about that) keep your cool, document everything and good luck these things are never easy

    Answer by sunflower39346 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.