Boy hair cuts

Always wondered why some moms have boys with long hair? I mean young like toddlers.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 6:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• a lot of moms hold off on cutting babies/toddlers hair (either sex) because they know that the first 'real' haircut they get will make them look older. some moms actually like long hair on boys; its an attention-getter. IMO
    personally, if my boy was always mistaken for a girl (due to his pretty long hair), it would piss me off.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Personal preference usually. I much prefer to have my son with short hair however.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think it is preference. If that is what they like...who cares.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I know that some jewish families dont cut the boys hair until the age of 3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Some is cultural to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My best friend son has shoulder length black curly hair...He is never mistaken for a girl. He was when he was younger but hasn't been for a couple of years now, he is 3.5. He was born with a head of curls.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's cultural for some, My friend has a hispanic background and they shave, boys and girls heads at 1 year exactly. Some want to wait for soft spots to go away before taking buzzers to their heads, some just want them to look like babies as long as possible.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's just hair...There are more important things to worry about than how often people have their or their children's hair cut. Let's put this much energy and concern into a food drive or something else that is productive
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Because they like long hair?
    I know my mom didn't want to cut my brother's hair when he was a baby because he had beautiful curls. Finally my dad made her cut it because people kept thinking he was a girl. The curls never grew back and she was very sad. We cut our older son's hair the first time when he was 16 months old. No real reason, just felt he needed a cut. He's almost 9 now and every school year he lets his hair grown long and it gets down to his shoulders then in June we buzz it all off.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I've been cutting my boys hair since they were 8 months old!! I would prop them up in the bathroom sink so they could see themselves, and mostly just trimmed it with professional scissors, we started buzzing their hair (I bought a professional cutting and trimmer/shaver set (my good friend in a licensed hairdresser) when they were a year old--not too crazy about the buzzer in the beginning, but they eventually got used to it, and now REQUEST hair cuts...I even cut my husband's hair! I prefer that my boys have short hair. They have very thick and straight but textured hair and they look so much better with short cuts! I also save hundreds of dollars every year doing it at home!!! :O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010