Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My nieces mother is 'stealing' my nieces Child support.

Okay so I found out that my niece who is 16 have never gotten any of her chld support. She told me on the phone the other day. My niece lives with her g'ma and rarely see her mother. her father pays his CS to her because g'ma is not the legal custodian. My niece informed me that her mother quit her job last year and has been living off of my nieces CS and her girlfriends SSI. I know in the past He mother wasting the money was an area of contention and why my BIL quit paying it for a while. She would call him up and ask for more money so she could get her nails done. Anyway I know there is nothing I can do about it but should DH tell his brother that his child isn't getting the money?


Asked by But_Mommie at 6:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 44 (181,645 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • yes, you should tell. If the niece was living with the mom she would NOT be personally entitled to actual cash from the support, since it would go towards food/rent etc, but this is ridiculous.

    Answer by lovinangels at 6:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • You need to tell , child support is just that CHILD SUPPORT ! Not mother support !! I went through that , my mother got alamony plus there was child support for me until I was 18 , I did not know any better that I was not seeing the money , not getting any of the needs I had taken care of . That support is for the childs needs , whether it be housing , clothes , basics so if the child is not being taken care of in that aspect then you should tell .

    Answer by mamahol at 6:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Tell.... Its to go to support the child, & should be going to the grandmother.... not to support the mother & any habits that she may have.

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • If he is communicating with his daughter as he should be, he knows it. Is the grandmother able to provide for the girl? Perhaps the grandmother has decided to allow this.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 6:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I would. He can contact a judge who can set it up so the payments are going into a trust for her, or something. I've never had to deal with child support before so I'm not exactly sure. Hopefully someone will jump in with advice.

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • g'ma def allows it and provides pretty well for my niece. There are things my niece hasn't been able to do or get because g'ma doesn't have it and is told to ask her mother who say's no because she has to pay the rent...My niece is just frustrated. She'll be getting a job soon and it won't be an issue. It just annoys me that 1/2 my BIL paycheck is paying his ex wifes rent. WE are in GA and he is in Cali. so not a whole lot of communication between any of them. Some on Facebook.

    Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I would make sure that he finds out. Why isn't the g'ma the legal guardian? Why would he let this go on???? The poor excuse for a mother shouldn't be getting the money, the courts should have been notified long ago.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Your nieces dad is an idiot. He knows the child isn't living with the mom so he should have gone to court and a) had cs and custody transferred to the grandma legally or b) filed for custody and support himself.
    The fact that he chose to stop paying for a while and lets the woman get away with collecting money for a child she doesn't have just makes him look like an idiot. He needs to take care of the stuff legally unless you people just like being taken advantage of and saying how wrong it is.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I know it's ridicules... I mean I know she gets everything she needs form g'ma but the fact Mom takes all her money and doesn't work irks me. Especially when my niece asked her for some money to get some new clothes fro school (she didn't need them just wante some) and was told no. That CS isn't paying for her housing or her clothes or her utilities...nothing.

    Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • This is why I think CS needs a reform... like set amount id paid directly to insurance or mortgage company or daycare... My BIL has a daughter in Cali to that he splits everything with her mother clothes, daycare and even days of the week since they live a block apart. He doesn't pay child support since he has her literally 1/2 the year and provides for her well. BIL is doing what the court is making him do which is pay this woman and she gets to blow it on what ever she wants. I don't get it.

    Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

Next question in Money & Work
FHA loan?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
pregnancy test question....