Potty Training...

I would like to get any advice from you mommies out there! How should I start her on the potty? She has one and she knows what 'pee pee' and 'poo poo' are and she even peed on the potty last night. I think it was just concidence. How can I get her to tell me whenever she needs to go?

KrazyKutie

Asked by KrazyKutie at 6:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Having gone through this twice now and working on my third, I have learned NOT to push the potty training on kids. You let them do it on their own. I would take my kids into the bathroom and ask if they needed to go and if they said yes let them sit on the potty. If they said NO then I let them leave. I learned it was so much easier to let them just do it on their own. My one year old is already going into the bathroom and pulling off her diaper and sitting on her potty all on her own. I still take her in there and ask her if she needs to go, of course she always says YES and I always let her sit on the potty. Just let her go at her own pace and you will see that before you know it she will be doing it all on her own, don't force it or push it. Don't try to push her to tell you she needs to go, just ask her from time to time. It's a team effort and don't ever get frustrated.
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• When I started training my daughter I would call 2 of the little girls next door from me over and when my little girl had to pee pee or poo poo we would all clap and tell her what a big girl she was. So when I had to go I would take her in the bathroom with me and she and I would clap and she would tell me what a big girl I was. When they are being reconized and rewarded for doing good they tend to learn faster and thinks its fun to go to the bathroom.
    sandieroot

Answer by sandieroot at 7:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree with first responder DONT PUSH IT! She's ready when she's ready we took it slow with my twin girls, they sat on the potty if they wanted to and had some successes. We did a simple reward system 1 marshmellow for pp on the potty, 2 for pp on potty if she was also dry, and 5 marshmellows for pooh in the potty. Once they kind of got the hang of it then I just chose a week and put them in panties and made them go potty every hour, within 2 weeks they were totally potty trained. this was at about 2 and a half.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010