At what age did you put your child in a toddler bed?

My oldest son is 2 1/2. I want to put him in a toddler bed, but he keeps saying he LOVES his crib. Should I try anyway? Thanks!

mom-o-2-in-2

Asked by mom-o-2-in-2 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my kids were never in a toddler bed they went from crib to regular twin bed. They were both in the bed just before they turned 2
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 3:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My children were all about one or a little over one.When they started to try and climb out of their cribs it was time to switch to toddler beds so they would not fall out and get hurt. When we did switch we had a kool-aid party to celebrate their new stage in life.
    Good luck. Make a fun event out of it it will make your toddler more open to sleeping in a new bed.
    honeyhanvey

Answer by honeyhanvey at 3:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• From what I understand, you should keep your child in their crib as long as possible...up until the age of 3. So basically, unless your crib breaks or your kid can climb out on their own, leave them in a crib. My daughter is 2 years 8 months and we just bought her a toddler bed to give to her on a special day we celebrate next month.

I'd check the weight limits on your son's crib and, as long as you are okay with it, he is yelling to stay in it, and his weight is still within limits, keep him in the crib even longer.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i just but my daughter in one she is 20 months... the first weeks are hard b/c they know how to get out
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i converted my sons crib to the toddler bed at 12m he was fine with it then when his sister came when he was 17m i bought him a toddler bed.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 3:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• when my son cried everytime i put him into his crib i decided that we should try a toddler bed.the first day i put him into his bed he sleept great hasnt cried since he was about 18 mths old when we put him into his bed.i guess the kids really just decide for themselfs. my son did
    marymommy112406

Answer by marymommy112406 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• my son was about 16 months and my daughter was 13 months. They both did fine with the change.
    masonsmommy28

Answer by masonsmommy28 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• my son started sleeping in a Twin sized bed at 18 months... I saw no point in the toddler bed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• allison was out of the crib at 19months. One day I told her it was bedtime and she didn't want in her crib..she wanted in our bed (which she never slept in). She never got out of bed etc..after switching. She was so easy lol
    allisonsmommy

Answer by allisonsmommy at 8:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2008