Cereal

when do you start infants on cereal? My baby is 4 months and some people say I should have started by now

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Usually 6 mos is preferred for the infant rice cereal. When in doubt, ask your baby's Dr. You'll get tons of advice w/ the new baby- follow your instincts, and/or ask your mom, g-ma. They have years of wisdom, & some of the old wive's tales work too!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• my dr said not until 6 mo, their digestive systems are still developing & can't digest it before then. I delayed cereal until she was 8 mo.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You NEVER have to give cereal. Babies don't even have the proper enzymes yet to digest it. Cereal used to be given foe the iron in formula fed babies because formula didn't have it then. It's overkill and thus makes it constupating. A baby should be able to sit up inassistd, have lost the tongue thrust reflex, have tongue control, and have the ability to bring food to their own mouths,. All these are built in safetys against solid food entering the gut before it is ready. Spoon feeding bypasses these protections. Purees are unnecessary if you wait for this signs which occur between 6-9 months. Check out
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• 6 mos. but you don't have to give cereal at all. Ped's recommend it for the iron so I always mixed cereal with pureed fruit and veggies and/or yogurt, or didn't offer it all.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• 4 months is fine if you think your baby is ready. try and you can allways wait a bit longer, or not! GL!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Personally, I say no solids until at least 6 months. And you never have to use infant cereal if you don't want to. There are plenty of other safe first foods that actually taste good.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I started my four year old son on cereal at 4 months. My doctor told me to start between 4 and 6 months of age. Some parents depend on if the baby is breast fed or not. A lot of breast fed babys start cereal around 6 months. It also depends on your baby. Is he sitting up with out assistance or atleast holding his head up with out difficulty? seeming interested in your food when you eat? Doctors also say once the baby gets rid of the reflex of the pushing tongue forward? Chewing motion? Theres a lot to consider but dont stress yourself out with it. Ask your pediatrician
    mamasbboy

Answer by mamasbboy at 3:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010