How often can otc hair straightener be used?

My teenage son has really curly hair which of course he doesn't like. A friend used a store-bought hair straightener on Tues & his hair is back to being curly already. Can he use a stronger one so soon-like possibly a relaxer used on African-American hair?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My husband has coarse and curly hair and he does use the straightener for African American hair, actually. It works well for him and he only does it every few months. It is rather harsh so he has to be careful not to leave it on too long and he has it down to a science now.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• i wouldn't. unless he actually has AA-textured hair..and waits a couple weeks, with restructuring treatments done beforehand.
    how long did the product stay on the hair? was it used properly? was it diluted? i'd wait a week, then use the same one again, or at least the same brand, but a stronger solution. and read/adhere to the instructions, strictly!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The one in the perm section, I wouldn't use any more than it says on the package. I used it on my daughters hair in 4 weeks instead of 6 or 8 and burned her hair off. She had "grass hair" for 6 months, that's what she called it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't. He runs a risk of damaging the hair. Has he ever look at Liquid Keratin? It basically does the same thing without the harsh chemicals. You can read about it here:

Liquid Keratin

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Seriously read the box. And don't do it any sooner. He's gotta learn to live with what he's got. If he doesn't like it shave it really short. Wait a couple of months and try again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I have used them on my niece, she has overly frizzy hair. And the box usually says not to be used more than once every three months.
    MrsConto

Answer by MrsConto at 7:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• always use a thermal protectant! i suggest paul mitchell hot off the press and it has a light hold.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I'd do what the box says.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• if he wants straight hair and it' slong go to a salon and get it done.. so unless you remember the exact brand, I wouldnt touch it. If you remember the brand hopefully you saved the box.. (you could take it into a salon and they could find one that has the same chemicals in it). There are sooo many different types of relaxers, that if you mix them you could be looking at a chemical haircut at the roots.. if not worse.

Be sure you use it properly as well.. you don't want to burn his scalp with the chemicals..

like I said, I would personally go to a salon if I were you.. you don't really know what you are getting into.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• ?
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010