What can I give my 13-year-old to help cleanse his impacted colon? Magnesium Citrate did not work.

Evergreen12

Asked by Evergreen12 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Fiber capsules?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 7:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Is Magnesium the Enema? It didn't work? Have you called the Dr. Really, depending on how long he has been this way, it's nothing to mess around with. He could run the risk of damaging his colon.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Add Benefiber to all his food and drinks, it is tasteless and won't change the flavor of anything. also buy alot of Fiberone products and anything with bran or raisens. stay away from apples and apple juice the pectin is a binder...miralax is good to but it is spendy. the idea is to increase the daily fiber so this does not happen again
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 7:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Actually, I've had my son to the pediatrician, had an abdominal x-ray, and made an appointment with a gastro. However, soonest appointment was September 9. In the last 10 minutes the Magnesium Citrate is starting to work well. I've talked with nurses, doctors, and pharmacists trying to find the right fix. I've had him on MiraLax, Citrucel, Phillips' caplets, Mineral Oil, and now the Magnesium Citrate. Oh, and stool softeners too. It's a nerve-wracking thing, but I'm not unfamiliar with it. I've got IBS and have suffered from constipation since I was 3. Just trying to make sure he doesn't end up like me. Catch it early and get a good gastro to monitor and treat. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Evergreen12

Comment by Evergreen12 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Looks like you are doing all you can for him. I know it can be frustrating, I have gone through the same thing. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• gl sounds like you all over it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• bump and gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It really does look like you are trying everything... good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i'm not sure if it is recommended for your child's age, but you could try a colon clense boxed kit... a homeopathic cleanse... my SO uses it all the time...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Enema. Vegetable based laxitive pill
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010