Why dont grandparents discipline your kids like you want them to?

I find it very frustrating because my mom thinks that my way of parenting is totally wrong

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL at your title of this post. Only because my MIL does not really have a good handle on my son. He's not a hard to handle child, nor does he act up when he is around he. What it really is....for them a control and personality conflict. She wants him to do exactly like she wants him to - and he does things in his way. He's not wrong, he just doesn't get Grandma's expectations. She goes to nag him and instead of him falling in line - he digs in his heals. I just shake my head. She loves my three year old and he loves her. My MIL just isn't really up to speed on how we manage our life and routine day to day. Some issues are a family culture/norm issue. For us, nudity is no biggie. But when my son opens the bathroom door on Grandma she just gets all bent out of shape. The woman doesn't realize we don't give a damn about being naked and my child doesn't understand why she's all bent out of shape b/c he saw her

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• They figure that they raised children and know what to do. Sadly, the solution, if you object to what they do, is to not let them be alone with the children.

Answer by Bmat at 7:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Because they feel like they have been there and done that and as far as they see you turned out okay so they just continue on that same path of discipline.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You must be new at this- it's the grandparent's job to spoil them rotten & send them home! Try not to be too hard on them. They mean well.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Well, can't answer for others but my parents don't discipline cuz they have chosen not to get to know my children, only my sisters, and their goddaughter from France (she comes here every summer and they take a 2 week trip to Tahoe). Oh well, their loss!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 7:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• LOL.. not thier job. They raised their kids and now it is time to be the yes person. Unless it is dangerous, who cares. Let grandpa have his fun.

Unless you would like to give us an example. I cant imagine it is all that bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Oh No... It's not my place to discipline your child! I raised my children. I disciplined my children. If my children choose to let their children run wild, so be it. I'm not disciplining them. This is my fun!!! I get to buy them whatever they want and spoil them and then send them back!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think if they were good parents they deserve to.Kids need to be pampered by grandparents.Parents have to make firm rules but its ok for grandparents to slack on some things. As long as its not something that you are very firm on and could harm the kids.
    t_lawson

Answer by t_lawson at 7:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I never had my own parents or ever had any grandparents. But I'm a Grand mother now! I Love those Grand babies and they adore me! When they come here. I make sure they're safe. I'm very responsible Etc.. I'd watch them for 12 hours a day or more! But then I got cancer and got ill and I can't. I treat them Great. But its not my job to be their parent! I have the luxury now to be their Grand parent! I let my DD and her DH parent as they see fit. Its their right. But if I see Danger.These are just an example but Like no car seats or going into a boat etc.. Without the proper flotation devices. I'd express my opinion. I'd do that with anyone, nicely, warmly, politely Etc.. But if the parents have rules of like no soft drinks or candy etc.. I respect that! I wish you the best!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Then your parents don't get to spend unsupervised time with your children

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010