How can I "adjust" my new cat to our home?

We just got her last night. She is 8 months old and she came from a home with young children so I thought she would fit in with us. We got home and let her out and she's been hiding in the closet ever since. And now she HISSES st anyone that has the audacity to walk by! We are just leaving her alone with her food water and litter box for now, but I would like ideas on how to make her feel better about her new home.

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 7:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Pets

• You are doing exactly as you should. She should know where her litter, food, and water are, but other than that she should be left alone to explore her new home at her own pace. I'd expect it to take a week. When she does decide to venture out to see the family, I'd not rush at her but speak gently to her and let her make the first overtures.

Answer by Bmat at 7:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Do you have a 'cat room'? A room where your cats toys/cat tree will be kept?
    In our last home we had a room dedicated to our cat (and sewing) where I could close the door. When we first moved there, I put him in his room and closed the door for the first day or so, then gradually let him explore the rest of our home.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 7:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Because of her age she needs time to adjust. Unlike little kittens who are quite adaptable to new surroundings and chaos, this kitty was used to her old way of life so she just needs time to get a feel for her new home. Just don't let her get out of the house, because she will try and find her old home.... I had a cat that did that when we moved to the other side of town. Every time he got out, he would go back to our old house!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010