When is the best time to talk to your kids about sex?

Evergreen12

Asked by Evergreen12 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• You need to start when they are very very young answering questions as they come up. About the difference in bodies, what periods are, etc... slowly, age appropriate answers as they arise. Then it wont be a huge sit down type of conversation... the information will have simply trickled out in a very natural way over the years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Before they have it! But seriously, they generally have the major sex-ed class in 6th grade, but the kids already have a general idea before that. Scarey isn't it? There are some great books at the library that are age-appropriate. The key is to keep the lines of communication open-always!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Same as answer one and no later than 10 for the big talk
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• When they ask or between 10-12.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• This is not "a talk". This is a series of conversations, starting practically at birth, by teaching your child the proper names for body parts and their functions. Keep an eye out for teachable moments, like a pregnant relative or a neighbor with a litter of puppies.

Start early, there is a lot of false information that gets passed around on the playground, on the school bus, even in backyards.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We talk about stuff. When they ask questions, we answer. But now our daughter is 8, and middle son is 12, so we bring stuff up. But if they ask questions, you kinda need to answer, and truthfully. Our oldest is special needs and doesn't ask anything. We have no freaking idea what to tell him!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I am a certified Doula (birth assistant) and a Lactation Counselor. I am not practicing now, but when my son was very young I was. Of course, I had tons of books and other educational materals for my clients around. I remember one day I was in the kitchen and my son (who was 6 at the time) and his friend were in the living room. His friend must have opened up one of my birth books, because I heard his friend whisper and giggle and then I heard my son, maturely say, "It's just a vagina... it's where kids are born from". Sex should not be taboo.. it's not just part of life.. it's the origin of life!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yeah I agree with the others. Answer the questions when they bring them up. Let them know, especially our girls.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• As soon as they bring it up and if they don't... you should step in then. In addition, the topic of sex is coming up earlier then ever and with so much stuff going on in the world its best you inform them first before some misguided TV shows, child predator, or another child does.
    romona5

Answer by romona5 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We are having the conversation in appopriate ages. It is ongoing. RIght now at 4 years old...He knows the difference between boys and girls. He asked, we told.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010