Why do some cats insist on drinking water from a water fountain instead of from a bowl?

Evergreen12

Asked by Evergreen12 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I have also noticed this. Our cat loves drinking from the faucet, but ignores drinking from the bowl.

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think it has to do with it being more natural that the water is fresh and moving. Message me for my easy fix for a cat that like moving water.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• About why, maybe there is something that they detect- dust or something- that we don't see or smell?

Answer by Bmat at 7:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• it's fresher. When is the last time you cleaned the water bowl?? Sometimes just washing it out will help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Their cat bowl of water gets stale, dust, dirty, stuff in it. Warm Etc.. And sometimes a bowl can get a nasty film if not properly cleaned. Who doesn't like Fresh cool Water? Maybe it smells like the other cat's slime? Has a whisker in it Etc..?? Good Luck!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Cats can be SO picky! My cat does the same thing. She follows us into the bathroom every time she sees us going and I just turn on the tap for her. Weird thing is, she'll also drink out of a glass. But a bowl? No way. I don't know why she's like that. I've stopped trying to understand the way cats' minds work.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 7:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I had a picky kitty like that once. I assumed it was because it seemed fresher, but who knows!
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 7:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My mom's late cat always wanted to drink running water out of the bathroom sink or tub. I think it was because the running water was 'fresher' where water in the bowl (even fresh poured water in a clean bowl) was 'stale'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My husband's cat would love to get in the tub and wait for the water to be turned on a trickle. I think the cat just liked to chase the water, but then he would also put his nosy nose in any unattended glass. No matter what was in it.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's fresher.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 23, 2010