What are some routines I could try to help my overactive 3 year old ready for bedtime?

My 3 year is a very active 3 year old. He will run and run until he passes out basically. I have tried numerous different routines that have worked for his older brother and sister, but nothing so far seems to work on him. Everything seems to stimulate him (bedtime stories, coloring, even baths) I have to start getting him ready for bed sometimes as early as 6pm just to hopefully have him asleep by 8-830pm. Anyone have a child like this or used to maybe?

blessedmama4

Asked by blessedmama4 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does he still take naps? if so cut out the nap it will make bedtime much easier. otherwise my girls are pretty easy, we do bath and head for bed. i read aloud to them but they have to lay in bed and i read a novel or something generally whatever i'm reading so long as its not bad for them to hear. it makes it less boring for me and probably more boring for them as well, I can generally read a few pages and leave them if they are quiet, sometimes I have to read until they are asleep.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Overactive 3 year old, I can relate! We have bath time, story time, prayer, then turn music on . . hugs n kisses off to dreamland.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 8:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• So you think maybe short and sweet and be done?
    blessedmama4

Comment by blessedmama4 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't know what to tell you...my 4 year old is like that I tried EVERYTHING and finally now what i do is bath, story, brush teeth then off to bed and she is NOT allowed to come out of her room. If she does I take toys away..(its not working perfectly but I can't figure out anything either!!)
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We do 'routine" all day long. From the time we wake up until the time we go back to bed at night. Not a schedule. Those I detest. But a routine where we know what will come next, usually. There are days where of course routine has flown out the window. And that's okay because most days are not out of the ordinary so it is easy to fall back into old habits. Starting after dinner my husband and my son wrestle or do some physical activity to satisfy my son's need to be physical and exercise. Then we play a calm down game. Some board game that gets us together as a family but signals it is time to relax. Juice and small snack with the game. After the game it is bath, stories, and bed. He has soft music playing each night, a night light, and water by his bed. The music and lights going out signals it is time to lay still and go to sleep. Quick kiss and hug. No real discussion b/c it is bed time.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• whatever you decide to do, stick with it everynight and make sure it stays calm. (as much as you can! lol) also make sure he is getting enough active play before dinner or so.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 11:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010