Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice about neighbors...

I live in a small apartment complex. There are 3 apartments in mu building, all side by side. My neighbors are a drunk father and 2 pot smoking HORRIBLE teenagers. They are constantly loud and slamming door and have their tv so loud usually from 7pm-1am sometimes. I have a 3 year old and a newborn and since having a c-section I cannot sleep in my bed so I sleep in the recliner and cannot sleep without earplugs thanks to these jerks. Dozens of times they have woken up the baby. I try to run a fan to drown out some noise but it doesn't help. I have called my landlord and though in my lease it has stuff about noise he wont get in the middle and ask them to quiet down. So basically my options are to confront them, and I don't want to since I am a girl and they are all guys, and mu SO doesn't want to either, or I can call the cops and start a shit storm since they will know it is us. Idk what to do. I need advice.

Answer Question

Asked by hornz102485 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Health

Level 11 (628 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • I would call, & make sure you do it when you smell pot coming from them. =) Get them not only on noise, but then the cops go there, they'll smell the pot too!!!

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • If the landlord won't handle it then tell him that you have to move.

    Answer by slw123 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Short of moving and calling the cops, I don't see what else you can do. Sorry, I hated apartment living, there was always someone that acted the ass. Hope you can get it fixed soon:)

    Answer by shanlaree at 8:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I would call the landlord, then I would put it on paper and send it do the landlord. Then, if he doesn't do anything about it, I would tell him he is in violation of his own lease agreement. Then I could call the police and file a formal complaint.

    Answer by WoodWitch at 8:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • You could get a large panel or board and cover it with batting and material to act as a sound barrier. If you can't screw it to the ajoining wall you could place it there with a dresser in front of it to hold it up.

    Answer by dancinintherain at 8:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I can't afford to move at the moment and I am really fed up with these neighbors. I'm scared to call the cops, cuz I know these kids hang with the druggies in town and I don't want any trouble.

    Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • i had people like that. but they lived across the hall and they told me theres not much they could do about the pot because its in their own home but the noise and slaming doors they got a notice about it but it dint change it just got worse..

    Answer by liljess09 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I would definalty call the cops. They can get in trouble for noise ordinance, and that was a good idea about waiting until you smell the pot to call. Just ask the cops to please keep it confidencial. It might have come from the other neighbors(LOL)

    Answer by beachbummommy22 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Ask the landlord if he would like to face charges for being in violation of a safe housing ordinance for allowing illegal drug use, and for not adhering to his duty to enforce the noise ordinance. Maybe then he'll stop being a pussy & man up & do his job! If that doesn't help him grow a pair, then the police will have to be notified. I know you worry about it coming back on you, but they are supposed to keep the person who calls in the complaint annonyms. You may want to start apt. hunting in the meantime. Good luck & enjoy your new addition to your family.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • see what the laws are aroung ur neighborhood for noise ordinance...cause honestly u could call the police.

    Answer by krystalmarie857 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.