Sleeping in her own bed.

Bedtime at my house is like a horror house, there's blood curtling screams, hitting, running, you name it. The only way my five year old falls asleep in our living room couch. She has a beautiful daybed upstairs with scooby doo sheets, princess blankets, pink curtains, etc.
Any suggestions in getting her to sleep in her own room. We don't really have a routine (sorry) and I think it's a little late to try to get one.

mamacass260

Asked by mamacass260 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Its not to late at all to start... When Dude was little i got him started by sleeping on the floor next to him for a couple of nights... Make sure you have a night light that really worked for me... Then maybe let her have her tv on so she feels like she is still up, but she will fall asleep.. This will take awhile... But dont get discourgaed, it will work out.. (sorry for the spelling)
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It's not to late it's just going to take a little longer to get her on a schedule. You need to set up a bedtime routine, set up a reward chart and let her know that every night that she goes to bed without a fight she gets a star and when she does it for a whole week she gets to go to the store and get a new toy ( we went to the dollar store) if she doesn't want to go to sleep she can look at book in bed and let her know that you are going to set the timer and you will check on her every ten minutes. Tell her that if she gets out of bed the ten minutes starts over and if she lays in bed quietly until you come back give her a kiss and a hug and tell her how proud you are of her and then start the ten minutes all over again. It usually only takes a couple of times of checking on her before she's asleep and do not let her watch t.v. because that will start a whole set of new problems.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I put my kids to sleep with their tv on.eventually they'll get tired and pass out.I put them to bed at 8 oclock and by 9 pm they're already in bed.its worked all this time and my daughters 5 and my sons 4.they havent had any problems going to bed at all.they been sleeping in their own bed since they were 1yr and a half,on toddler beds.Its all on how firm u are with them.Even if they cry just ignore it,they'll get tired and give up,they always do.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 7:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sad as it is to say. For your sanity, put a small t.v. in her room, pick only educational videos at bedtime. (Cartoons) Let her pick from the choices everynight. I have been through this a few times. Maybe that is why she choses the couch. Mine do that. They will pass out sooner or later. But at least you can go to bed without the headache. Keep putting her to bed at the same time everynight. You'll see after awhile, she'll do it on her own. Works like a charm.
    lilsparkysmom

Answer by lilsparkysmom at 9:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the TV. We had an awful time getting them in their beds. But, when it is bedtime we only watch the food network and they are out!! Rewards are wonderful too, the only thing I regret is not doing this sooner!! Now, if they come into our room at night they have to lay on the floor. It makes them stay in bed!! Good luck!!
    malpait

Answer by malpait at 6:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My son will be 6 the 29th of this month and he just started sleeping in his room. We started putting him on the floor in our room. Then we moved him to his room and stayed with him till he fell asleep. Then we just lay with him for about 5 minutes and scratch his back. Now we just tuck him in and read him a book. Our motivation was a new baby coming. Now he is excited to sleep in his own room. He is right beside the babys room and he cant wait for her to get here. I wouldnt go the TV route. It caused problems with a friends son. He started getting up in the middle of the night watching TV. Good luck. If you need to talk about it let me know.
    cynthia1283

Answer by cynthia1283 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• We start with no tv at least 30mins before bed, it will help calm the mind, not thinking or talking about what they just watched. He has 15 minutes to get his jammies on and brush his teeth and then if he gets that done in time there is 15 minutes for stories. If he doesn't make it then there are no stories. It took me several months to get him on this schedule, no help from Dad either.

You could also try shutting the door, I have noticed that most parents in our neighbourhood don't shut the door of their children's room. Once the door is shut she can scream all she wants as long as its in her room. She will learn that screaming and acting out will not get her out of bedtime. Don't go running in everytime she screams or acts out, otherwise she will think its a game.
    Steph1977

Answer by Steph1977 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i totaly disagree with the tv thing... i dont belive that zoning your child into the tv is a smart choice at all, i put a fish tank in my daughters room and she watches the fish swim and the light stays on all night long so she has something to watch and she has a light on, but not staying up all night watching tv. try reading a book or telling a story there are many creative ways to put a child to sleep w/ out the tv
    mom1g1b

Answer by mom1g1b at 3:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2008