Swelling!

Help! I'm swollen! I've had swelling in my hands since about 25 weeks, but the past week i've been feeling more swollen (i'm 34 weeks) It hurts when I get up on a morning in my knees and ankles.. My blood pressure was checked last week and was fine, but i'm just worried about the swelling, what can people tell me about preeclampsia? Any advice would be great :)

a-mee

Asked by a-mee at 8:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• https://health.google.com/health/ref/Preeclampsia that has some info there, you may have a little too much salt in your diet too. That helps you retain your water. I would say call your gyno and get checked out, too much is bad. Stay off of your feet because you don't want to make it worse, and you don't want to kill that baby!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If your doctors aren't worried then you are okay. I swelled horrible with DS! My skin hurt to be touched it was so bad. Make sure you are drinking lots of water and putting your feet up when possible.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I had bad swelling with my last pregnancy, I am hoping I don't get it with this one. Just sleep with your feet elevated above the heart. Keep your feet elevated as much as possible.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I had preeclampsia and swelled terribly over night almost. I had some swelling starting at the beginning of the last trimester but nothing too bad, and my blood pressure was perfect. Then at 38 weeks I was laying on the table so that they could measure the height of my fundus and almost passed out, they didn't check my bp after that but probably should have. A week later I went to the store and the girl at the checkout, whom I had never seen before, told me I was really swollen. I got home and checked and yep, I had blown up like a balloon. The next day at my 39 week appt my blood pressure was in the severe range (as high as it gets before you have a seizure or stroke) and I was induced. If your swelling is gradual I would say it is more likely dietary or related to your activity level. Drink lots of water, elevate your feet as much as you can, watch what you eat, and sleep on your left side to increase circulation.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• cont...
    If you start getting bad headaches, seeing spots, having belly pain (up under your ribcage on the right), or seeing the sparkly things at the edge of your vision go get your bp checked. Most of all, relax! Stress will only make you feel worse. Good luck, and feel free to message if you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My doctor was concerned that I would develope preeclampsia because I started swelling pretty bad and my blood pressure was unusually high for me. So, she just had me start to come in every week for my blood pressure to be checked. My mother had preeclampsia when she was pregnant with me.
    So far so good though, my blood pressure has went down. It was just weird becaus this is my 3rd child and I've never had any kind of swelling before...and you can see the water in my feet, lol. My feet turn purple with white dots..its so gross. I've just been keeoing my legs propped up as much as possible.
    Just keep getting your blood pressure checked.
    Good Luck..hope eveything stays okay.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's August, hot, and your preggers. You can expect some swelling to be normal. Mention it a your next OB apt to be sure:)
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Go get a massage. Seriously. It'll help move the fluid and give you some relief,

Drink tons of water. That will help flush your system.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Go to Www.preeclampsia.org. I had severe preeclampsia at 34 weeks and had to be induced. And up until a few days before then they kept telling me i was fine and so was my bp. They lied. Hope everything turns out ok.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 10:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010