When your child refuses to eat anything except candy and sweet drinks,how long is to long to withhold food from her?

Over the last few weeks at age 3 she has starting to refusing all of her favorite foods and will hold out for sweets. She has always been a picky eater and I seldom offerer her sweets. I have let her go over twelve hours and she will still refuse to eat. I know she is hungry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I promise she will eat when she gets hungry enough! She will not let herself starve!!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Ditto previous answer. Don't let her manipulate you.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree, she will not starve to death. Every time you give in the next time she will hold out longer. I think if you keep offering healthy choices. When she is hungry enough she will accept it.
    chelley123

Answer by chelley123 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Hold out until she eats. It's hard, I know. But it's the best thing for her. Only give her sweets occasionally as a treat or dessert. After she eats a healthy meal!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Turn food into shapes, like triangles or animal pancakes when healthy food looks moe 'fun' to kids it becomes like candy FUN! My kids used to love me arranging their dinner into a face on a big plate :) don't give in rather reward!
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 4:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You sure she is not sneeking food at night or some thing?? I would make her sit down at every meal and put food in front of her and tell her, this is all your getting ,no sweets or sweet drinks or deserts,,,,i wouldnt give her anything to drink but milk or water tell she eats a meal.She must be sneeking food 12 hours without food

Answer by louise2 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i agree with all of the above. she isn't capable of starving herself to death. let her go as long as it takes. besides even though sweets fill her tummy up they are worse for her than letting her wait. don't let her control you.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 4:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I spoke to my Doctor regarding this,because I have the same problem with my 2 1/2 year old, and she told me that my son would not let himself starve. She told me that he would eat when he gets hungry. He has gone 24 hours without eating anything, only drinking milk, that's what concerned me so much. The doctor told me not to worry about it, and he will eventually eat. And she was right. The next morning, he got up, and told me he was hungry, so I made him some eggs and sausage, and toast, and he ate it all. I think he ate more that day than any other day. You just have to hold out. Good luck!
    angelosmama

Answer by angelosmama at 4:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Thanks angelosmama! I was wondering about that myself. Seems like everyone agrees to be strong, so I will try too!!!!
    woodj2

Answer by woodj2 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It's true, she'll eat what she's spose to when she gets hungry enough, but offer her a variety of foods, don't just tell her she has to eat what she has in front of her. My daughter will get up in the middle of the night saying she's really hungry and wants a fruitsnack or candy or cookies and i give her the option of goldfish, an orange, or grapes. If she says no she wants her cookie, I tell her she's not very hungry then and to go back to bed and if she's super hungry she'll go get some grapes out of the fridge and sit down.. Be firm, it's hard, but they got to know they're NOT the boss ....that's just MO
    BrattyWish

Answer by BrattyWish at 10:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2008