How to ask someone to not smoke around your kids?

My son has a "new" friend, they were on the same baseball team but only recently began hanging out. The friend's mom smokes (I can smell it on her) and I want to make sure she's not smoking around my son. I don't let my relatives smoke around my kid I'm surely not going to let anyone else do it. I understand I can't control what they do when he's at their house (which he hasn't been yet) but he has gone places with them in their car and I would like that no one smokes around my son, which would include their car.

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 3:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• "How to ask someone to not smoke around your kids?"

I don't ask people not to smoke around my daughter or myself...I TELL them not to smoke around my daughter or myself.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• First ask her if she smokes in her car or around her child. If she does the best thing you can do is not let your son go alone with them, always find a way to have them come to you. You cannot control her actions in her own home/car. You CAN control what she does in YOUR home/car. You could mention that he has asthma and has trouble breathing around cigarette smoke if you think it would deter her from smoking... but if you cannot be sure you shouldn't let him over there.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 3:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You can't stop her from smoking at her own house you can't stop her from smoking in her own car ...So don't let you son go anywhere with them..If they ask why,,tell them the truth

Answer by louise2 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with louise2, that may be your best option. Good Luck
    Rachynu

Answer by Rachynu at 4:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree, you cant really do anything to control what happens in her car or home so I would encourage your son's friend to visit him more.
    Irelyn

Answer by Irelyn at 4:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with louise too! My FIL smokes in his house. I told him we would come to visit but if he smokes we are going to leave. He started smoking and WE LEFT!!! He later called me and asked me why we left and I told him because he was smoking! DUH! We haven't gone back since.

If you can't keep the problem away from your kid than keep your kid away from the problem.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 4:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree w/ all the moms. U might try making arrangements w/ her that u/ur huband will drop off 2/pick ur son up from her house. As a smoker myself, I respect the parents of my children's friends that don't smoke by only smoking in my laundry room or outside during the summer. And even though they've never asked me, I do it bc I do respect their friends & their parents.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Also, I totally agree that u r in the rite 2 b firm & honest w/ her about this.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the others, you can't control what others do. You can only control what you allow your kids to be exposed to. If they question why he isn't allowed to go places with them anymore then tell them the truth.

If you feel comfortable enough with the mom and don't think it would offend her then just ask her if she smokes in the car or generally around the kids. Tell her that your son has never been around smoking and you don't really want him to be.
    Anonymous

• Have you asked her? There is a possibility that she doesn't smoke in her house or in the car.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2008