How to fly with small children?

I will soon have to fly a 2 year old and a 6 week old from MN to WA. Any tips?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you'll get great answers here, but my only suggestion is to pack twice as much food/snacks as you think you might need. When my DIL flew with her kids she packed twice as much, got terribly delayed, and used up all the food.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Bring juice for going up and down! And bring a paci. Also, pack things to do while you are in the air.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• this year i have flown a total of 7 times. my kids did fall asleep most of the trips. but take with you lil toys, a a coloring book. and of course snacks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• For the baby make sure you have extra. You can fill bottles with hot hot hot water and keep them in an insulated bottle bags. You can always cool them down but it's a pain to heat them up. That is, if you are bottle feeding. Feed the baby or give the paci at take off and landing to help with the popping of the ears from pressure. I would give a sippy cup to the toddler too. Have lots of food. The diaper bags for both should be free, they are not considered one of your carry ons. So load them up! Remember walmart bags for dirty diapers. I would get the night time pampers diapers that hold more fluid. The 2 yr old will need to be entertained. I would take a DVD player and movies!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Do not let them sleep if possible. So they will sleep through the trip. It is a lot of good luck, if the trip is a good one.

Answer by louise2 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I prefer to ensure mine DO get sleep, because if they don't fall asleep on the plane, but aren't rested, you are in for a nightmare.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Oh, forgot to mention that people forget about arrival at an airport. As in, you've got to go through security. Easy to remove shoes for you and the kids, no belts, etc. They WILL make you take off those cute knit booties from your baby, trust me. Then, you've got to wait for boarding. I board first to install the car seats, but don't buckle them in until the last minute.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010