How much child support is enough/not enough to raise a child? How do you think you will need?

romona5

Asked by romona5 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I used to get $196 a month from my ex-husband before he disappeared (I don't know where he is and haven't heard from him-this month makes 3 yrs.). That was too little. I would figure enough to pay for at least half of all the expenses. Here in Fl. they base it on pay...he was getting paid under the table so they based it on min. wage.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• To me there is never enough child support to raise these expensive kids in this lifetime, "BUT" I would not accept anything under 500 bucks a month. My son's dad is paying me 1100 a month. It goes into my checking account. My son has been saving it for almost a year now. He's hoping to get a car when he turn 16 which is coming up soon.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• That is decided by the Courts I thought?

Answer by louise2 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It depends on the life style.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It depends on your income etc.. Mine was based on both of our incomes and it was to maintain a standard of living. For 3 children I should receive (court ordered) 1178.00/month, in reality I receive maybe half that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If my husband and I were to divorce, I would need 2k a month to raise our children.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Ha! 1000?! 2000$! I get 50$ a month based on the income he had when we separated, I'm going for an increase this year. They base it on the father's income- the most you can get is 45% of what he makes. Realistically, 200-300 a month would be half of my son's expenses, if not more.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My husband makes good money and we have 5 children. 2000 dollars would be a starting point. I thought before having children and I am a SAHM so, I would get alimony too!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• what exactly does that mean you thought before having children? lol i couldn;t down bump ya but i would of if i could.
    to answer the question and not be rude like some people are its based on income and what state you live in.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I did answer the question, the poster below me felt compelled to tell me that I wouldn't need 2k a month. You obviously don't know me, you can vote me down ALL DAY I don't care. It wouldn't hurt my feelings, I am not trying to be your friend. :)
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010