how did you plan for someone to watch your kid while you gave birth to second?

I live 4 hours away from my mom, the next closest person is my sister who is a good 6-7 hours away. by the time i call that i am in labor and they get something together and then start driving we are talking at least 6 hours for mom and 8 hours for sister to get here.
I have a 15 month old daughter that needs to have someone look after her while my husband is in the delivery room with me when I go into labor. I am due Sep 30th. I just packed my hospital bag and will sometime in the next week pack a bag for my daughter cause I still do not know what is happening with her.We do not have any friends where we live, we have only been living here 8 months and the only people we know are my husbands coworkers who have come over for dinner and we have gone to them for functions. There is one couple that works with my husband that my daughter really likes, it is apropriate to ask them to watch her untill my family gets here?

bekmae777

Asked by bekmae777 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was going to have my parents come during my due date. Unfortunately, I went into premature labor, it was sleeting outside, and I live on a mountain. I had to call 911, my husband and my neighbors, all while trying to maintain calm for my daughter's sake as I was bleeding. An ambulance came, my neighbors showed up and took over the care of my older daughter, and my husband met me at the hospital. The planning didn't amount to anything. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have had a contingency plan ready for an emergency. In the time between now and your planned delivery, get to know the people you think you'd trust to care for your daughter. Discuss plans for emergencies like we faced. I wish I'd had a plan, but who expects the unexpected?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You could always ask his friends, or find a babysitter to be "on call" for that week, maybe a student, or a stay at home mom. Talk to them, make sure you and your daughter are comfortable with them. Then, when you go into labor, you could either take her over there, or have them come get her. Just an idea.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We were lucky to have a friend from hubby's work willing to watch our DD no matter what time it was. ANd my water broke around midnight and he came to watch her. So we were lucky
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You have some options...

You can bring her with you-- She can be there with your husband until someone else can arrive.
    You can get the co-workers.
    you can have a birth doula.
    You can plan a homebirth and will be covered with the midwives.

Depending on your preferences, you can mix it up...

I had my 2 year-old come to her sister's birth. (She fell asleep on the drive, but we woke her up soon after so she wouldn't miss it, lol!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I knew I would have to be induced, so we planned for my parents to be in town when I had my second. My best friend also flew out to be with me when I delivered.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It wouldn't hurt to ask them.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• At the time my husband's brother and SIL lived 3 miles away, and they watched my then 23 month old until my MIL could get to the house and she helped us out until I came home. My husband also took time off until I came home, then I was on my own during the daytime! ;O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Why doesn't mom come visit for a couple of weeks as you near your due date?? I had family here with my second child, but on the third daddy stayed home with them. Can't he stay with your daughter?? It never hurts to ask a good friend or a co-worker. The worst they could do is say no.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Luckily, I had to have a planed c-section for my second and third. That helped us a lot. You can call your mom as soon as labor starts. If she's not there when you have to go to the hospital, just bring your daughter. She can just watch TV in the room until they get there. It won't be that fast. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• for my second son, i just called both parents and they all met us at the hospital. a nurse stayed with my son until my parents arrived.
    the rest of my kids were born at home, we had midwives, a babysitter happened to be there when the twins were born. my mom was here for my 5th baby, but the twins napped through the birth, and the older boys were watching tv, and just checking on us every now and again!
    i think a friend or babysitter until any of your family can get there is a good idea.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010