how can i get my 4 year old to sleep in his room?

my 4 yr old won't sleep in his room and i just don't know what to do anymore... well we just moved to an apartment wich we don't live with my mother anymore so that could be it... so ilet him fall asleep in my room then i move him to his and in the middle of the night he is back in my room any advice on what i should do?

kittykat123

Asked by kittykat123 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi there, My son was the same way when he was 3 it was my own fault because at the time i was a single mom and i always had him sleep in the bed with me, so when i met my now husband it had to change there was just no room if you know what i mean! lol anyway i found that what helped is we went out and bought him some posters and a cool toy box ect we even let him pick out his own "big boy" bedding and i just kept telling how much of a big boy he was going to be sleeping in his own big boy room, and he helped decorate it ect ect and after a few nights of struggle and some encouragement from me saying how big of a boy he was, he was goot to go and he has slept in his room with no problems since, he is now 7. Maybe try that out get him involved with his big boy room and personalize it to his taste (even if you don't like it)
    Hope it works out for you just remember consistancy is key!
    have a good day :)
    Tiffany
    MyO3WorldMomma

Answer by MyO3WorldMomma at 4:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My granddaughter is also 4 and having the same problems. Just keep being consistant and make sure the room is fun to be in... Decorate it the way he likes it, etc..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My son has had the same problem (still does sometimes). We make sure we have a set routine we do at night, bath,story in his bed (he picks out the book), kisses etc. We also do a "bead jar". I bought some glass beads (could use macaroni) and 2 jars, a mommy jar and a kid jar. I put all the beads in my jar. Everytime he goes to bed, behaves, does anything nice (behavior wise) we let him put a bead in his jar. But if he was bad, or didn't listen, etc. we took a bead out of his jar and put it back in the mommy jar. Once he gets the jar full he gets a prize. The key we learned was the first time he only had to get the jar partially full before he got his "prize" so he understood that we were rewarding his good behavior. It has worked well for us. Good luck!
    2lilbugs4me

Answer by 2lilbugs4me at 6:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008