Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Should the court decide how much child support a parent should get? Or should that non-custodial parent be man or woman enough to step up and say here you go, just in case they want something extra?

Answer Question

Asked by romona5 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 6 (119 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • go through the courts always.

    Answer by lambdarose at 9:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Let the court decide.

    Answer by louise2 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • It has to go through the courts. Because many NCPs wouldn't pay child support unless they were ordered to.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • IMO it should go through the court. People change, circumstances change. If you make an aggreement with someone and then they decide to change their minds you won't have any protection... Mine went through court because of a divorce, custody etc, but even if that's not the case it's in you and your childs best interest to go through the court.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I understand the whole court thing, but what if you knew they were making more money then the courts know about... say under the table or miss some days so they check can be shorter.... would that then be fair?

    Comment by romona5 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • If they are going to work under the table just so, they can be ordered LESS child support, do you really think they are going to willingly hand over child support. NTM, if they were "just given" the child support then if the mother is receiving welfare then they don't have to claim the CS as income, even though they are supposed to.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • My ex's child support is court ordered, and he STILL doesn't pay it! Willingly hand it over? I don't think so.

    Answer by missanc at 9:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I think there should be a basic scale to go by (like there already is) based upon each parents income and courts order the amount of child support.IF dad wants to buy something extra, then thats great. If he wants credit for it..then he can send the money to buy whatever it is though child support ans then he can get credit for it.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • I think that the court should decide using a basic scale for everyone. Then if there is something special like Holidays, school things, extra cirricular activities and etc then the parents should talk about it and work ou tsomething extra.

    Answer by hsmominky at 10:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Go through court, it can always be modifiied later

    Answer by camtri3 at 1:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.