divorce, custody, alimony

I want a divorce. have for a while, just scared. im a sahm mom and have no place to go and no money. will this affect my chances of getting custody of my kids? and will i get alimony if i have been supported by my husband for 2 years and need help until i can get back on my feet. im so scared to do this but really need to for me and my kids. i dont even know where to start or how i would pay for an attorney.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 9:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• A friend of mine just went through a divorce. His wife is a SAHM and he's the sole provider of the family. They have joint custody of the kids. I'm not sure what else the arrangement is, so I'm not sure if that helps or not, but I do know his ex-wife has to get a job because what she's going to get from him will not be enough to keep up HER lifestyle and take care of the kids at the same time.

Good luck.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• There are a couple things you could do. I would contact an attorney or call family court and ask if they can help you find one. You would find out that you should be able to get alimony, child support and make him pay for the court/lawyer fees. Don't be afraid. You need to do what you feel is right for you and your children.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was a SAHM for 11 years when I was married to my ex. I didn't/don't get alimony, but I am supposed to get child support (although he doesn't pay it!). Many attorneys have free consultations - you could go and get your questions answered. I borrowed a couple thousand from my parents to get me started, enough to rent a townhouse and support myself for 2 months, although it was a shoestring budget! I got a job and worked my rear end off to support myself and my kids. I went on food stamps and WIC for 4-5 months until I had paychecks coming in regularly. I went back to school full time and worked part time. It can be done, but it sure isn't easy!

Answer by missanc at 9:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I can't give you an answer regarding the alimony, but just wanted to encourage you. I have been married for 11 years and two months ago, my husband told me he was gay. We have two kids together and soon, I will be raising them, while he sees them every other weekend. I do bring in about $1500 a month working at home and will be saving all my money until December, when we plan to move to my home state. I was really scared at first at the thought of becoming a single mom, but I don't have a choice. You have to do what is best for your babies and YOU CAN DO IT!

I know people say it all the time, but when I say "If I can do it, you can do it" I mean it!! I hope someone can give you some actual advice, but just remember that you are strong and you will get through this!!! If you need to talk...feel free to PM me.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 9:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010