WHEN IS THE EARLIEST TO TAKE YOUR KIDS TO THE DENTIST?

I WAS JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE I HAVE A TODDLER AND I WAS WONDERING WHEN IT IS A GOOD TIME TO START TAKING THEM...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Between 2 and 3.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think they recommend taking them within 6 months of their first teeth coming in, or by their 1st birthday. That's what I read the other day. Although I know a LOT of moms take their kids in by their 2nd birthday. My son is 8 months and I plan to take him around his 1st birthday.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I just found this link fro the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry.

http://www.aapd.org/pediatricinformation/faq.asp

Note: "When should I take my child to the dentist for the first check-up?
    In order to prevent dental problems, your child should see a pediatric dentist when the first tooth appears, or no later than his/her first birthday. "
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• During the age of 2. Just was told this by my pediatrician at my sons 2 yr check up last week.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• ok thanks so much girls..but now my question is how do you get them to stay still while they are being checked?
    ABBY90

Answer by ABBY90 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I took my son when he was 1. Because my son pediatric told me.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 9:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• 18 months

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Apparently, the first visit is just to really meet the dentist and they will teach you how to properly brush your baby's teeth. I would say to keep them still, pump them up early on with how big a boy/girl they are if they are being allowed to go to the dentist. Never tell your child anything negative about going to the dentist and don't show any fear of going when you have to go yourself. I remember as a little girl my mom saying to me something along the lines of "just like you are a big girl, I'm a big girl too and I go to the dentist every 6 months just like you do". I can't remember ever being nervous of going either. And since it's a new experience, I bet your little one will be so distracted looking around that they'll be good while you are there. But definitely talk up the experience. Mention what will happen, how they'll meet the dentist, and how proud you are that they are old enough to go. Good luck!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• i was told at 6 months but she didnt have any teeth so now im gonna take her since shes turned a yr and has 6 teeth
    gizmom529

Answer by gizmom529 at 4:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was told to take them at 12 months. And i did. He sat really well. Its a quick visit. They just look for decay or other problems, brush them real quick, and my dentist put a dab of flouride on each tooth. (he had 6 at the time). And they educate you on how to brush, what to watch for. How important a healthy diet is and needing to take the bottle away and yada yada :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010