So I am watching 10,000 BC and ...

Where to even start this question. It is obvious and proven that humans were here that long ago and surviving, which was their main purpose, survival. I only assume they weren't questioning the meaning of life, where we came from, what higher power created us, etc. So it makes me wonder if God created man as in Adam and Eve, where and when do ancient man fit into this? Neandertals, cromagnum man, etc. And when did the belief in Gods begin? Because in the beginning it wasn't a Christian God being worshipped, but numerous Gods or completely different Gods than what society believes in now. Am I religious, yes. But that doesn't mean I can't ponder these things and question, If This then why This? Where did humanity evolve into believing what is such a standard...belief? And since I believe in evolution does that make me less of a spiritual person, I don't think so but I'm sure some disagree.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I like your question. You're very smart. It takes a smart person to ponder the things you ponder. So many humans go walking around this world blindly believing what they are told. They have blind faith in their religion & don't even bother to think about these deep questions you are asking. I wonder about it too. These "ancient Aliens" TV series on Discovery Channel i think, are totally throwing my mind for a loop. I always thought Aliens had something to do with our existence on earth. It's interesting that archaeologists & other scientists cannot pin point when it was that apes evolved into humans. They have all this evidence of evolution, yet they do not know when the homoerectus turned into homosapiens.. HUGE grey foggy area. There is even evidence that humans were here while there still were homoerectus walking around. Did they mate? Or did Aliens mess with their DNA? Ever so interesting...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• well... a couple things come to mind about your musings: the remains of an ancient woman recently found in africa whose dna shows that white people are a mutation of black people. maybe neanderthals are one of the races god smited in the bible. i'm being a bit facetious - i think the bible is christian mythology although there are truths within it. anyway... i find the truth of science and the wonder of life ever so much more spiritual and fascinating than the old testament "explanations" - i am awed by life particularly when i delve into the realities of it - it's amazing.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• In ancient times, these old civilizations worshiped an assortment of gods relating to the sun and moon and earth....they survived by the circumstances of nature and that is where they beliefs came from. Your god is a new thing.... 1500 years ago it was just taking over Europe....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I do believe the fossil evidence where it exists. I don't take the six days of creation as a literal six days. I think there were some human-like creatures before there were the first humans (Adam and Eve). Basically I wasn't there, so I don't know. I believe the Bible, but I don't pretend to understand everything in it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• always felt Adam and Eve is a metaphorical tale, not supposed to be based on a real event.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm a Christian and I believe in a strict interpretation of the Bible. I don't know how all of the scientific data fits together within that, but I think that's where faith comes in. I figure when I get to Heaven all of my questions will be answered.

Answer by missanc at 9:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Belief in an afterlife is very ancient, beliefs vary over the world but the idea that there is another life after this one is very old. There is evidence of religious paleolithic art created by cave dwellers. Also religious artifacts that were created to be carried around. It's hard to know exactly when the idea of deities and/or an afterlife really started. It would be fascinating research though.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Anthrropologicaly, hominids have created some kind of belief system ever since they developed the abilty for retioal thought. Will we ever find the missing link, I don't think so. This is a vast planet and because of shifting oceance levels and other geological changes to the techtonic plants we will never be able to uncover all of her mysteries.

Just an FYI to a previous post. The Theory of Evoluution does not say we evolved from apes, only that we share a common ancestor.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Even with survival as the dominant task, ancient man still had moments and times where they would speculate on the abstract, or rather teh meaning of life. Typically in tribes there were two leaders, the strongest hunter, and the "spiritual" leader. As for where the idea of "Gods" began. Well when you see something fall from the sky or feel teh earth shake you know the scientific explanation behind it. Ancient man did not. Hence the invention of Gods, or "mighty persons with the power to move the earth and control the skies". The answer to all unanswerable questions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2010