Sleeping?

My 3 mo DD is sleeping a lot. She will sleep 8-10 hours at night and be awake for an hour (long enough to eat and play) sleep another 4-8 hours, and repeat 3 times. Is this normal and when do they start staying awake longer so that we can play longer.

coala

Asked by coala at 4:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably fine.
    Keep in mind that growth hormones are released during sleep and that new experiences are processed during sleep. Everything she sees, hears, touches is new. And all those experiences need to be sorted out and stored - during sleep.

And remember, when in doubt, talk to your doctor. Every baby is different and we fellow moms have only seen one or two babies - your doctor has seen thousands. What might be "abnormal" for my baby may be perfectly normal for yours. As a matter of fact, my baby rarely slept at all at that age - preferring to shriek and scream most of the day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I was told by my baby's nurse (she was hospitalized recently) that she was fed 5 ounces at 5:30am and slept til noon on yesterday. She's 7wks now. But that wasn't news for me, b/c since she was born she's been a "good-sleeper". I love it, although I enjoy her equally when she's awake. So, I wouldn't worry. But go with your heart/gut. She's your baby and you know her best.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Just enjoy it while you can... Make sure she is getting enough to eat, and that she is well hydrated... She is fine. Just a good sleeper.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Thanks everyone, she get plenty to eat. She is taking in about 20 oz a day, but sleeps really well. I was just wondering at what point will she start to stay awake longer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2008