Mommy, do you believe in heaven?

My six year old son asked me this while watching t.v. tonight. We've had discussions on this topic before, and he already knew my answer was going to be no. He came back with, "But if you don't believe in heaven, you wont get to go." Then after thinking for a few seconds he added "you'll get wings!" Like that would persuade me to change my mind.

I told him, "Look, I would really like to believe that after we die, we could still hang around, and be with each other. That we could spend eternity together. But I just don't see how something like that is possible. It's not that I don't want to believe, it's that all the evidence I can see tells me it isn't so."

Then he started talking about the afterlife, and informed me that if he dies before I do, he is going to leave heaven, "walk right thru those golden gates" in his words, and come haunt me, so I wont have to be alone.

Isn't he just the sweetest little boy?!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• you have a very sweet & intelligent little boy! i love the inner workings of a child's mind (you'll get wings!) and how complicated things like the afterlife are so simple for them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• That is very sweet of him..
    But the story does make me sad. Your boy wants to believe in something very special & good, and it seems like you rather him see your reality..
    My dd is almost 4 & I pretty much let her believe in anything she wants as long as its not scary & will create nightmares (monsters, ghost, scary creatures) I let her believe in santa & easter bunny & toothfairy (ya, shes not even close to losing a tooth but already talks about it! LOL) ..
    But for now. if he wants to believe in heaven let him.. He has MANY YEARS to learn about the world of religion & all the adult crap that goes with it..
    I think if someone is really comfortable of their religious choices they dont have to force them onto their children & "the truth" will come to the child in time when the child is ready to accept whatever path THEY decide on..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Just for clarity,.. I'm an Ecclectic Pagen.now .. But as a child, I remember being punished by my parents, who were/are born again christians, for asking this.. "Do you think it's possible that we aren't real? That we are just the figment of the imagination or part of a dream some giant is having (I had just read The BFG). and all we are is an insignificant dream?" (I was in 2nd grade).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• MommaTasha, I do let him be a child, and let him believe in whatever he wants. I have never tried to make him feel bad, or stupid for wanting to believe in god and heaven. And I do not try and force my beliefs on him. But at the same time, if he asks what I believe, I will tell him the truth. Generally speaking when he asks me if something is real, my response is always going to be, "What do you think?". This is true for Santa, Easter Bunny, god, heaven, hell, angels, demons, ghosts, unicorns, fairies etc.... But if he asks me what I believe, I will tell him what I believe. I will not now, nor ever tell him what he should, or should not believe, because it is a personal choice, that can only be made by him.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He sounds very sweet.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• That is very sweet of him..
    I think if someone is really comfortable of their religious choices they dont have to force them onto their children & "the truth" will come to the child in time when the child is ready to accept whatever path THEY decide on.."

I agree with this 100%.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Again, he didn't ask me if heaven is real, he asked if I believe in heaven. I am not going to lie to my child to try and prevent him from growing up too fast. I have a strict philosophy when it comes to talking to my children. If they are old enough to ask the question, they are old enough to get an honest and complete answer.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Kids know more than you think.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Like my mom says "outta the mouths of babes" she is so right.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2010