EXPIRED BABY FOOD!?!? IM FREAKING OUT

So I went to Stater Bros. and bought some organic sweet potato for my 6 month old DS. As I was giving it to him I looked on the label and it said AUG 02 2010! Oh my god!! He ate one this morning and half of one this evening. Is this going to make him sick!?!?!?

I went to the store and complained to the managers. There was a ton of expired baby food on the shelf.

Im so scared this is going to make him sick. What should I do???

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 10:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He should be fine. Sweet potato is unlikely to carry anything that will cause any kind of tummy trouble or anything like that. Just keep an eye on him and if he starts vomiting take him to the doctor.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He should be just fine. If the food didn't look or smell funny there was probably nothing wrong with it. The expiration date is not a magic number, it's a safe guess. Food that is sealed like baby food is usually good much longer than what is marked.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• your fine!!! it is usually the sell by or best buy date.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• he sould be fine. before the late1930sthere weren't experation dates on foods/drink/medicines. the main reason people put them on was because people were hoarding food/medications/drinks. but they are more like best by dates. if it was sealed and air tight it can last 6 months longer than the dates. just keep a sharp eye on him, but i am sure you wont see any problems
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't stress over this, mama! It's not like it was months expired. I'm sure he'll be fine. :)
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Cooking sweet potatoes is really easy (you might enjoy them, too)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Thank you Mamas! I called Gerber and spoke to someone and she told me the same thing. No worries, after the "sell date" the product looses nutritional value, but does not make baby sick. There wouldnt be any reason for it to make him sick unless the seal was broken.

Thanks again for the prompt replies. Im praying that baby will do fine tonight!
    mercilove

Comment by mercilove (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He should be fine. If your breast feed, your milk has a lot of living things in it that combat tummy bugs. Also, you probably warmed the food, killing anything in it. Also, it's just a few days over the date. Most jarred foods will stay buggy free for a year or more beyond their date.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010