How do I learn to sow?

I bought a sewing machine when I was 17 with my own money. Always wanted one, did a little gown for my niece then lent it out to my sil then to my aunt, and got it back. After that, I had my dd at 21 and wanted to start again, but I dont remember a thing. I dont do good with instructions. Any one want to be my tutor or show me some links to videos?

dejamanu

Asked by dejamanu at 10:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Do a search on Youtube, or take a class at a local community center or JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts. There are great books at the library and DVD's you can borrow for free.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• you tube or pbs give great video how tos but they cant give you that hands on. if there is a sewing group or sewing machine repair shop in your area talk to them, i am sure they would be happy to help
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• There isnt anything around here, and if there is, I dont know how to find it. Its a small town, and we are new to it, so I wouldnt know who to ask. I will try the youtube videos. Does it matter what machine I have?
    dejamanu

Comment by dejamanu (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• All machines work pretty much the same way. I bought a Singer which screwed up a month after I got it so I borrow my grandmas Singer that is at least 25 years old and it works the exact same way except that you thread it differently, like the stuff is in different places...
    So all you would have to do is put the thread where it goes ontop and put it thru each little hole and hook and all that, then stick it thru the needle...to get the bobbin thread up you take the metal "bobbin holder" out of the machine and make the open side face where you stick the bobbin in face towards you, then you place the bobbin in the way to where if you were to unwind the bobbin thread it would be coming off counter clockwise (hope that makes sense) and when you put it in the machine you have to have the arm of the machine (the thing that goes up and down with the needle) at a certain place, like mine has to be almost at the top before the (cont)
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• (cont) bobbin will "snap" into place...then you hold your top thread over to the left side of the needle and turn the little wheel on the side of the machine to make the needle go up and down and it will pull you bottom bobbin thread up thru there. You'll pull about 6 inches out and leave it hanging off the back. Then you can start sewing. I usually leave my tension on about 3 1/2-4 and my stitch length on 3. If it doesnt sew right then usually you dont have it threaded right on the machine or it may have came undone somewhere.
    My grandma taught me how to sew and Im actually in the process of sewing a car seat cover right now if I can just get off the computer lol
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• good luck i still cant use one of thoose things
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Here a video that might help you get started. Start Sewing- How to Thread a Sewing Machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm83zA5-Yyk
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 3:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't think it matters what machine you have... the hardest part is learning how to thread it IMO...
    youtube videos are a great idea :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You said you had a little girl? I am a new sewer, and have been sewing Pillcase dresses. they are cute cheap and SOOO Easy to make. I learned it from youtube.com on how to make them. Check that out.. its so easy. Right now I'm making Owls, from the magazine crafts n things. They are so cute and easy as well. They are called scrappy the owl if you wanted to look them up. Also, look up from google the name of your sewing machine and model number. Then you can find a manual to look up how to thread and all that stuff. Good luck and don't be scared. The more you practice the easier it gets!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2010