Food allergies

So "they" say starting solids too early can cause many food allergies. Not sure if I agree. Way back when mums were feeding cereal to their newborn babies at like 2 weeks old. There were few and far between when it came to food allergies. Food allergies are on a rise now, and people are waiting to feed their babies untill 4-6 months. What does this say to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, no, no. Introducing foods earlier REDUCES risk of allergies- your body recognizes it as a good thing, rather than your immune system attacking it. Check the studies!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We have a lot more chemicals and weird crap in our food now. Food today is totally different than food 50 years ago.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• true, but i am talking more like 20 years ago, and still they say that the food in the tummys that they can not digest id causing allergies. if thats a true statement, it would have brought up more allergies 20 years ago as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Feeding rice cereal at any age has nothing to do with food allergies. Virtually no one in the world is allergic to rice. The issue is with introducing high allergen foods too early: eggs, wheat, corn, and dairy are the most commong allergens. Delaying rice cereal until 4 or more months is about letting their digestive systems mature. It has nothing to do with preventing food allergies. Avoiding high allergen foods until much later is what doctors suggest doing to prevent food allergies and I agree with that theory. One is not allergic to anything be it pet dander, antibiotics, food, etc until one is exposed to the allergen. I wasn't allergic to pennicillin until I took it. Then had the reaction the 2nd time it was given to me because I had already been exposed to it. Food allergies work the same way.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• it says that we eat too much processed crap.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• How the heck would you know if you were or were not allergic to pennicillin or not w/o being exposed to it first?! lol. and the study i read clearly stated "starting solids too early, can leed to food allergies in the future." True ric cereal is not likly to cause an reaction, starting to early could.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• When they say starting solids too early, they are not referring to ALL solids. No where do any of the studies say introducint rice cereal causes food allergies. It's like I said. If you give a baby milk at 6 months, he has more of chance of being allergic to dairy before age 2 than if you had delayed introducing milk. Like wise with wheat, eggs, peanuts, and many other offending foods.

As for my comment about the pennicillin. My point is I was not allergic to pennicillin before taking it. Hence, you don't have a reaction with the first exposure. It is the 2nd exposure that produces a reaction. So, a baby who has never had eggs in his whole life is not allergic to eggs. Delaying allergen inducing foods until the digestive system has fully developed and worked out all its kinks helps to reduce developing food allergies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My son was eating solids, not that nasty cereal, at three months. Mashed potatoes was his first food. He had eggs, strawberries, AND shellfish all before a year. Whole milk at nine months. No allergies! He is not allergic to anything, at all. Even though there are allergies on his father's side. Heck, at his 9 month checkup the doctor warned me about certain foods, too bad he'd already had them! Of course no peanuts, grapes, or honey until after a year- simply because of choking. So... don't know if that helps your theory or not. Oh! Here's a really great study too- http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1968474,00.html   and this one: http://www.physorg.com/news186052453.html

Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I have heard of exposing allergins to rid the allergy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2010