I was just waching John Q. Do you think that he should have been sentenced to any prison time?

John Q, (Denzel Washington) father and husband whose son is diagnosed with an enlarged heart and then finds out he cannot receive a transplant because HMO insurance will not cover it. Therefore, he decides to take a hospital full of patients hostage until the hospital puts his son's name on the recipient's list. His son received his heart but John still received prison time for holding some patients hostage. Do you think that he should have received any prison time? Isnt this what Obama's health care plan attempts to correct?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd like to say no, but then everyone would break the law to get what they want.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• To save their children's lives... Man.. I thought that was really something..
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• As a parent I would say no because I would have done the same thing if I was in his position. But this is reality so of coarse he needs prison time for breaking the law. I would rather be in prison knowing I saved my child's life.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yes... it really makes you wonder.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Here's the thing... Do I think he did the right thing? Yes. Do I think he should go to prison? Yes. He broke the law, willingly, knowingly and violently. He put others in danger to get what he wanted... Did he do it for a good cause? Yeah, from his point of view, but this isn't how things work. If everyone acted this way we would have pure anarchy on our hands... So yes, I think he should be punished for his actions, however, I think the reasons behind his actions should be taken in to account during sentencing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He knew the consequences of his actions and deemed his cause worthy before he did what he felt he needed to do. Do I agree with it? As a parent, of course... as a citizen? No.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• NOPE He didn't harm any one, and he made sure they were well fed and taken care of. He did what he had to to save his child.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i didn't see the movie. based on your brief description, my answer is yes, no matter how much my heart goes out to him. taking people hostage is illegal. surely there are plenty of people in need of transplants that don't get them. i worked in the health insurance industry for many many years and have an in depth understanding of funding as well as the real stories behind the sensationalized "the HMO killed my mother" stories. although i don't know the details of how the plans will function under obama's plan, what i can tell you is that insurance is a for-profit business and hospitals and doctors sometimes make decisions based on financial considerations first and patient care second and that people do suffer based on these choices and don't have options because of lack of non-emergency health care for all. it is not the insurance companies so much as the capitalist system and healthcare as a business not a right.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes he should go to prison... he broke the law, he held people hostage, caused irreversible emotional damage, and knew the consequences. Does that mean he is a bad person? No. I would have done the same thing.... but I would also expect to go to prison.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I thought he did get some prison time. I think it should be up to the judge to analyze exactly what happened and then sentence. Maybe just probation. 

Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 5:06 AM on Aug. 22, 2010