Very akward...how do I deal with this? adult content

My son is nine. I walked into his bedroom so his lil sis can give him a kiss. To my surprise he was wrapped in a blanket watching a movie with only his underwear on. I knew what was going on but I didn't want to believe it. His father sees him once a week and every other weekend. Should I say something or ignore the fact that he's exploring himself? Help! I feel so akward.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• When I found out my 15 yr old was doing, it was just akward - never caught him, but realized what was going on once he started taking 30 minute showers and found all my lotion in the shower every time I moved it. My husband walked in on him and they talked about it.
    My younger son use to this when he was about 6 or 7 and we talked about appropriateness, like we don't do that in the living room for one thing, we do those things in private.
    He probably feels embarassed or just as akward, it was me at this age I might just leave it alone. With my 15 yr old I just gave crap about it and told him my shower better be clean when I get in there.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would just leave it be. Or if he know that you know then you might say that you understand it is natural but he needs to make sure that it is done only in private .
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• talk with him to see why he's doin it and make sure he is just exploring himself and not somebody else exploring him.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think you should leave it be, he's just exploring himself and saying anything will just embarrass him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• EEEK!
    I have a 10 yr old boy and I would have felt awkward too.
    But I would try to not make a big deal about it.
    I would talk to him about it though.
    I would ask him what he was doing.I would then ask him where he has learned it from. I would then explain that it is normal and not to feel embarressed and that you are glad that he was doing it in the private of his room and under a blanket. And from now on I would knock before entering his room. Also, make sure to ask him if he has any questions about his body or his feelings.
    Good Luck
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Ignore it. Some other time he needs to be told that his body is for him to touch only, in his room or in the bath room. Boys start messing with themselves the moment they discover it. Normal!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yeah my 6 yo goes is going through this phase too... who am I kidding, it's not a phase! They never grow out of it!! I would just ignore it and let Daddy deal with it. :)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Let it go and have Daddy do the man thing. Moms should only deal with that stuff as a last resort.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• lol, my kid is always walking around in his boxers, maybe he was more comfortable in bed like that. To him that might be the new idea of pajamas or something. Boys are so different then girls. Most of them really do want to be Oscar from the odd couple, I swear, its just this guy thing.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would let his dad talk to him about it, but I wouldn't bring up this incident.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010