Is this horrible.....

Ok so my 3 year old just started SCREAMING and getting out of bed every 2 min every night for 3 weeks. I am at my witts end. Finally I told her that we were going to have to take her to a sleep appointment to sleep there and they can teach you how to go to bed like a big girl. I told her it is not scary, just going to teach you how to go to bed w/o crying and getting out of bed. is this horrible? I feel bad, but it seems to be working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally want to write that down and remember it for when my son is 3. But I'm also a mom that called her child's new flintstone vitamins "candy" so he would take them. There is no manuel, we get by with what we can.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I personally dont think it was very nice. I think you could have found a better way to teach her. You probably scared her to death.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• At that age, a little white lie won't hurt.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't think it was nice, or what I would have done, but I don't think it's horrible.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Is she going to sleep at all? Is she waking up at the same time every night? If you say yes she wakes up approximately the same time every night, quietly go in her room like ten minutes before that and hug her, rub her back or tummy and tell her you are there. I heard somewhere that kids having nightmares can be broken of the fear by interrupting them before they start. Children as well as adults have different levels of sleep. The deep REM (rapid eye motion) sleep is usually at around the same time of night every night. If we interrupt the pattern the child can get past the nightmares and move on through the night peacefully. I use magic monster spray in my daughters room before bed on the nights that she don't want to go to bed because she says something about monsters. It's just febreeze. I also made her a dream catcher and told her about it. She sometimes sleeps in my room but think that's cause of the heat of Summer.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Does she have a night light or something to comfort her if she wakes up, my dd had lots of nightmares at that age?
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It all depends how you feel about white lies. Some people are way against it but if you feel it is okay then go for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Have you asked her why she is doing what she is doing? does she have a night light? do not laugh....but...I do believe in ghosts...ask her seriously but calmly what is bothering her at night.....maybe even ask her during a bath when kids are preoccupied enough that they start to talk about other things.....there has to be a reason...it is up to you to find out what it is. even could be tummy aches that happen at night...goodluck
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• All she says is she does not want to go to bed. she does have a night light and animals to sleep with in bed......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I believe that type of dishonesty only teaches your child that lying is ok. I started having trouble with bedtime with my DD at around 3.5 years old. I just started sitting next to her bed until she fell asleep and then quietly walked out. It solved all of her sleeping troubles and it only took an extra 10 to 15 minutes.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010