Birthday Toys and sharing

Today was my daughter's 5th Birthday Party. She got a lot of nice new toys. The problem her 2 1/2 year old sister wants to play with them too. I know these are new toys but is it too much to have her share them the first day?

TurboMom81

Asked by TurboMom81 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We usually get the other siblings something small and new so they have something, too. I don't make them share right away, no.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My kids have to share everything. I am sure your daughter got more than one toy. Let the little one play with the ones the 5 year old isn't playing with at the time.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• i know exactly how u feel... idk that you should make them share the 1st day but eventually they will have to share... maybe get your 2.5yo something else small? or distract her with some old toys she hasn't played with in awhile? sorry, not much help but i do know how u feel!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Well, my son doesn't have any siblings, but I don't make him share his new things the first day. (with neighbors, friends, cousins,etc.)
    Like the day he got his new scooter and didn't want to let his neighbor friend ride it..and the neighbor friend was bugging him to ride it as soon as it was out of the box....I said he didn't have to share it that day, but he is expected to the next day on, and he did with no problems.

JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I have three kids and they have to share - even new toys. Unless, of course, it is something that a younger one will likely break - in which case that toy is to be put in their bedroom when it is not being used - out of the little one's reach. It is NOT too much to expect her to share the first day. Especially if there is more than one gift - she can't play with all of them at the same time so why not let someone else enjoy them too. Siblings have to live with each other and should learn at an early age that sharing is the right thing to do and it makes the household much more enjoyable to live in - for everyone.
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 11:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We normally encourage sharing especially with younger siblings (I think it teaches them to be a good example to the younger kids) but we had to start a special rule for our 3rd child when she was a toddler. No one can play with any gift she gets for birthdays or Christmas. We started it because she is so nice she would just hand over her new toys to her older brother and sister when they demanded to play with it just hours after getting it.
    The rule still stands because her brother and sister try to take advantage of her because she is so sweet and always wants to share. She'll be 8 in November.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would allow the birthday child to at least have their toys to themselves one their own birthday!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's not too much. However, the big one has to let the little one play, and the little one has to understand that the big one gets to play first.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010