Do you think I'm going to have bad news??

I am a foster parent of Phoebe, a 7yo I've been trying to adopt for 9 months.
They unexpectedly visited today for inspection and they just chose the worst day!!
My DH had a knee surgery and he's in the hospital so our neighbor was watching Phoebe and my 6-yr-old daughter Emilia.
My 15-yr-old neice is staying with us in Emilia's room so Emilia is sleeping on the floor of Phoebe's room for a few days. Therefore, Phoebe's room was kind of a mess.
Since I wasn't home to cook, they had a snacky lunch.
When these ladies came, the girls were watching cartoons on TV.

I came home 1 hour later and although they were polite, they didn't seem to like what they were seeing.

Do you think I should be expecting bad reports from them? I'm really scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, as a Foster parent myself, I don't think you can tell. The bad thing is that it depends on the day, the mood of the workers and etc. However, I would say that considering all that you have going on that you have a good excuse. I would make sure that everyone knows that DH had surgery and you are spread thin. I think it will be okay. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You sound like a regular family to me. This is important and emotional for you, so you are over reacting. Everything is okay.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think they should understand. You had to go see your hubby and you did have a babysitter. It wasnt like they were looked like they hadn't bathed in days and there was no food in the fridge. Kids rooms get messy and they have to understand that. I wish you luck! Don't stress yourself out over this. What you described doesnt sounds bad at all. Maybe you were reading their expressions wrong.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't think you should worry, you sound like a normal family with normal problems! You had to be in the hospital with your hubby!! And even if that was not the reason, every mom still gets out of the house as long as there is a trusted adult looking after the children. And the messy room is part of having children! I think and wish everything is just fine!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 11:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think I would explain the circumstances with your husbans and surgery. I f they are decent humans hopefully they will be understanding the situation you were in at the time.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Do they usually come unannounced? I would think they would give you a second chance before they would do anything. I wouldn't worry yet. In the mean time, get your house in order in case they come for another surprise visit.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It sounds like a nightmare. Why do things of this importance hinge on a single visit? I've never been a foster parent, so I don't know the procedures. Do you think they'll consider the extenuating circumstances and, at very least, give another visit a consideration? I hope it all works out for you and your family!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You just have to be prepared for any situation girl, thats obvious. But Im not sure...
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't think it would be bad. She has her own bed (kids sometimes sleep on the floor). The kids were eating, not a problem. They were watchign cartoons, not a problem. At least they're fed, healthy, loved, and safe.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010