Someone who is good at doing yard sales?

I am planning a yard sale next weekend and I am having a hard time pricing things. I have tons of girls baby clothes 0 to 12 months. Guys clothes, Woman's clothes. How would I go about pricing these things? I don't want to basically just give them away, but then I don't want to price them too high. I have no idea how to price stuff especially clothes. Anyone good at these kinds of things?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• 50 cents t shirts 1.00 dresses, pants, etc.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The adult clothes, unless they have a new tag on them or if they're designer, I'd price them for a dollar each. The kids clothes, I'd do between 50 cents and a dollar. That is, like with the adult tags, unless they are new with tags.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Another suggestion, which you didn't ask for, lol, is posting an ad on Craigslist. We did that once and got TONS of people. It's free advertisement, and if you mention baby clothes, you'll get tons of people. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• i would go with adult stuff for 2 dollars, kids clothes for a dollar, coats for 10 and shoes for 3.......something that's easy to remember and works its way up may work better. good luck on your sale!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Im not an expert at it or anything haha, i hate going to yard sales that have baby stuff for sale, and the price is outrageous, and that usually when they have the cutest outfits. Usually I do jeans/pants for around $2. considering there pretty expensive to begin with, all shirts a dollar, childrens outfits $2 a set, the mis matched items for $.50 a piece, if you know you have something good place it as a set, so you have no choice but for them to pay you what you really want. its about making money and getting rid of things, hold your prices until about an hr or two before you close, and then let them start barganing...
    shannonrenee09

Answer by shannonrenee09 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I have to tell you that if you price the baby clothes at 0.50 cents a piece you will make more money. I know when I go to yard sales with fifty cent clothes I stock up but if they are a dollar or more I pick and choose what I want. It is more about why you are having a yard sale and what you want to do. I suggest pricing it cheap though...you will get rid of more and make more money.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Oh, we are having ours this weekend too!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The problem comes in, if you bought these clothes at say, Nordstroms. I have a friend who payed good money for her dd's clothes and she has such a hard time pricing them at a garage sale. Even in the thrift stores, the brand names only go for up to $5.00. So even if you spent a lot on something, you really need to price to get it sold and not what you originally paid for it b/c shoppers arent going to give a hoot about that. Good luck and hope its a huge sucess!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• best tip I ever got, price them at what you would pay for them at another yardsale.

I do 25 cents for baby and kids clothing items, 50 cents - $1 for adult items.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If I had really exceptionally good quality stuff, I would price it individually and hang it seperate from the other clothes, then I would put up a sign for all clothes $3-$5 a bag. You are never going to make back what you paid for this stuff at yard sales. If that's the sticker then put it on EBay, otherwise, price it to move!! Make sure you have "free" stuff for people too.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 1:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010