6 yr old refuses to leave party

Ok I took my kids to a neighbor's party, they are 4 & 6. They were very well behaved, had a BLAST, until I tell them it's time to leave. Then they both pout and say they don't want to . After some pushing, my dd4 comes willingly, but my ds6 does not. I have to pretty much carry him out, and in the van he keeps running his mouth (I hate leaving, this party stinks, throws his shirt at me, calls me stupid)

What should I have done? What can I do to make this like stop happening in the future? It also happens, when tv time is over, or when it is bedtime :(

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 11:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, I wouldnt have wanted to leave the party either mamma! I think for this situation and his age, you just had to do what you had to do. He was having a great time and he didnt want to leave. He handled it as best as a five yr old could, and you did great too. As for tv and bedtime, set up a routine, thats what I did. Dinnertime, bathtime and then TV time and or story time and that always ended in bedtime. Had the daily ritual of brushing teeth after bathtime..etc...so when its all said and done and the show is over, and the book is read, thats it,,,and the lights are out. If he throws a stink at that point, then you warn him that tv time will be taken away tomorrow. Boundaries and schedules are a mommys best friend. But parties,lol,,,do they really need to ever end? :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• At the beginning of each activity, set time limits, expectations for the end, and consequences for misbehavior. Then stick to them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• stand your ground & put him in time out if you dont believe in spanking, also the next time theres a party, dont let him go..... because he didn't behave enough to earn the right to go.

Do the same thing with tv time, if he acts up, take it from him for a little bit..

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I Absolutely agree with PP. Even though it is common with the age...shut it down or it will only get worse.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Maye give a warnig before so he has time to adjust to the change.
    I would have done what you did.
    Also, I would have pulled that van over and spanked his butt, if he threw something at me. Then he would have privliges removed at home.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies. Before bed (same every night, stories come then bedtime. They ask, do we have time for one more, and when i say "no", there is fussing and complaining. What should I do, take away bedtime stories the next day?
    Before the party, I told them, when it's time to leave, you'll come nicely and not fuss. My ds got a spanking by my dh and my dd finally came and didnt run her mouth and all so she did not.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• BeyondHopes, you're right about that! LOL!

Ok about bedtime stories, I usually would go until it was time to stop. Should I just go for a certain number of books then so the kids understand better?
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Lovingangels answer, I agree with it!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• hey, yeah, thats what I did. It was usually three easy books. Big pics and colors and sometimes they asked for the same ones over and over again. But I brought three books, they physically saw that I brought three books, and I showed them, that after these three books it was bedtime. As far as books go, check with your library for book sales, and if they have a disgarded rack, cause you can pick up hard cover childrens books for 50 cents or less....I have teens,,I miss story time and party time,,lol, these days Im in bed before my kids!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• One of our family rules for outings of any kind is this: if you can't leave happily, we can't come back again.

So, if your little one can't leave the birthday party happily, then he just can't attend the next party he's invited to.

Also, for my kids, giving them some warning before the actual departure helps. "We're leaving in 10 minutes...we're leaving in 5 minutes..."
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010