Sleep Issues...

Ok, so my 17 month old is a 12 hour child. He normally sleeps straight through the night, and we've never had any issues with him sleeping. He is normally in bed around 8-8:30 and will sleep til about 8 in the morning. A couple weeks ago he started waking up at midnight, or two in the morning and refusing to go back to sleep. I've tried rocking him, but as soon as I lay him back down he wakes back up and starts screaming again. I've also tried letting him cry it out, but he's been known to scream for 3 hours. We live in an apartment and have neighbors, as well as my husband who works early in the morning. I'm not sure what brought on this sudden change, but I DO know it must stop. Does anyone have any advice? We've tried giving him bottles and rocking, and CIO, and just about everything...all to no avail. Please help!!! Thanks a ton.

CzarofOhio

Asked by CzarofOhio at 12:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he take naps during the day? Is he having nightmares?
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would check for molars coming in, if he don't have his 2 year old molars, they could be starting. Hitting a growth spurt where he needs something to eat? Any other changes? Like routine, change soaps, smells, does he sleep on a vinyl covered mattress where he might be getting sensitive to the sound? Hope you can figure things out soon. My daughter is afraid of trains and we found that if her window is open, she does seem to wake up from that.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• He does take one nap around 11:30-12, and he'll sleep for about an hour and a half. That is the only nap he takes. He is noticeably sleepy at night, he just refuses to go back to sleep. We have a set routine, We eat dinner, go for a walk with a pitstop at the playground, then its bath, book, and bed. He already has his molars (now talk about a rough time. lol). And we have found out he is scared of the dark. There is a night light in the room and our room is right next to his.

Once we GET him back to sleep, he sleeps through the rest of the night, it just takes us a long time to get him back to sleep. He's been known to wake up at 12 and scream til 3. Even when we're holding him.

Thanks so much for the suggestions you guys.
    CzarofOhio

Comment by CzarofOhio (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2010