Do you think food coloring can be harmful?

I want to make a lego cake for my son (red, yellow, or blue) and I remember blue or red being verrrry hard to obtain (the dark color) without a TON of coloring... So might go for yellow.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 12:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Health

• i think blue may the worst & i believe it may be a certain # dye...
    look into it a bit more. Im sure it would be easy to get some good decent research about it..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I haven't researched it, but I have heard it causes a lot of medical issues.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think the only time it is a really big deal is if you have an allergy to it. I am not certain though so I would say to research it.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The only issues with food color that I know of is it seems a lot of people have issues with red dye #40-(it is in most everything). Having a child with an intolerance to red dye I am learning it is a very common occurrence to have a rection to a "color" of dye

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would say all food colorings are harmful (unless they're vegetable based); my son is extremely sensitive to red dye but we avoid them all.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You can make your red darker by using some cocoa powder. I don't know if that will work for blue as well, maybe you could try a little bit and see? As far as being harmful, too much of anything is bad for you, KWIM? The food coloring they sell now is pretty safe, as long as it's in moderation.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• have not researched it, so I cannot say for sure
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010