Do you think shelters or rescues are a little crazy?

I was once told I couldn't adopt a cat because I have indoor out door cats. I live in the country, have a fenced yard on 3 acres, live on a dead end road, and have excellent vet references.
I thought is was crazy that they would rather that cat sit in a cage than live with us.

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 12:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I didn't know they would talk to you about that kind of thing! Huh.

I adopted our dog from a shelter.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Usually the shelters want all animals to be indoor animals. There are way to many strays running around and that is what they want to avoid. To answer your question, no I don't think they are crazy.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Some places like to make sure that all of the animals will stay safe at their new houses, so they normal only allow indoor cats.. im sorry though
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 12:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't think they're crazy, I think they are overflowing and try to do their part in making sure animals don't become repeat visitors. It is too bad you couldn't get the cat though. Different rescues may have different criteria.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Our local shelter is the same way and it is a NO KILL shelter. I have no problem with Pit Bulls or breeds of that sort but you walk through this shelter and you have tons of them lounging at the kennel as you walk by and they all just stay there because they wont kill them. This means a ton of nice, placeabe dogs get turned away because they don't have room. I personally don't like this, I think they should put to sleep the unplaceable dogs and allow space for the nice dogs.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2010