I'm not sure if I need anti-depressants or what...

I'm moody all the time and it's like I have a short fuse. I can go from happy to stark raving mad or upset in the blink of an eye. Sometimes I just wake up in a horrible mood and don't mean to take my feelings out on my family. My 4 year old is very hyper, talkative, and I love her to death but she drives me nuts and pesters me all the time and I get onto her alot and afterwards I feel like Ive been mean to her and I dont want to do that. I used to be very outgoing and was the type who wanted to be the center of attention but now Ive got to where I just want to close the blinds and stay in the house and not have anything to do with anybody. I've felt like this ever since my mom died 2 years ago and when she died a part of me died because I seen her every single day and was a big mama's girl. I dont know if that's what caused this or just a combination of things, or maybe something I couldn't help to begin with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like you could be suffering from Depression. Do you have anyone that you can talk to on a regular basis? Made any connections on CafeMom that you can talk things out with? Sometimes we just need a break, is there anyone that could watch your 4 year old for even half an hour? Give you a bit of a break? If you feel that you miss your mother, which I am sure you do, try writing a journal to her. Start a journal to your daughter that she can read in years to come. Try to find something that helps you divert your thoughts for half an hour a day. Like a hobby, can be taking digital pictures or anything that you like to do to pass some time. Hope you feel better soon.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Sweetie,
    It really sounds like you need an antidepressant. Some people answer Anony. or are afraid to tell the truth but I always try to give my real life experiences becaues I t hink it helps others relate. I was where you are with being so moody and my mood jumping back and forth. I was short with people I loved and I did not want to be short. I knew that I needed to get on some meds. I talked to my Dr. and she suggested starting counseling. I went to Counseling and it was wonderful. My Counselor taught me breathing techniques and writing techniques to help with anxiety and depression. She also explained to me that Depression is real. It is an actual chemical imbalance in the brain just like Thyroid disease is real. She said that the best treatment is Counseling and Meds together. I agree----Together they really make a big difference. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Just based on what you have said, my guess is that this has to do with unresolved issues with your grieving process. Everyone grieves in her own way. Personally, my mother died just weeks after I lost my job last year. So I have a great big pile to feed my depression. If you feel that your anger and feelings are truly unwarranted, and just come from nowhere, check with your doctor. It may be a chemical imbalance that can be treated.

It sounds more like you may have some issues maybe with things more than your mom's death, that you may have buried over time, because "it should not be that big a deal". Fact is, if we just bottle up everything, then eventually the pot gets too full and has to spill over. I have an ADHD teen as well (out of 4), so I know that I can get very overwhelmed and take things out on everybody.

Give yourself a break and cut you some slack. Parenting and life is never easy. You can do it!
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 12:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2010