what is the best way to get rid of head lice

it all started with a camping trip and when they came home they were complaing of a ichy scalp. i have tried 2 diffrent shampos an electric lice dectecting comb and that works good but not so much for the eggs. i also tried vinager and mayo and vasaline i am at my wits end and they start school in less then a week someone please HELP!!!!!! thank you.

24hourmom185

Asked by 24hourmom185 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Rid, and be sure you spray your whole house and wash everything that can be washed.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You have to do all the sheets and combs in your house with the soaps too. It will take a bit to get it out of the kids hair. Try bug bombing the house and if you have pets get them treated as well.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Apparently our pets can get lice but it is species specific so they can't give their lice to us.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I got this stuff called "lice ice". It's this stinky menthol smelling gel that you coat their head in & it encapsulates the lice, nits & eggs & keeps them from being able to eat or hatch. I also read that lice cant live without being on a person for more then 55 hours, so if you can get away from your home for that long whatever is there will die out. & not be able to re-infest them.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I fought a VICIOUS battle with the litte buggers (lol) and eventually won. It took me about a year or so to see the last of them, they kept coming back! I felt horrible having to tell some kids mom that their kid probably should not stay at our house because we had a lice problem. Yikes!!

I took to combing my kids hair with rubbing alcohol. I found it disolved the glue that stuck the eggs to the hairs. I sat for hours in front of the tv and rubbed some clean alcohol into the hair, and then dipped the comb in a cup of the stuff. I could see the eggs best if I was working in direct sunlight. So then I would comb a small section and dip the comb often to keep it very wet. The eggs came off and landed in the cup of alcohol.

I have not read about this anywhere, and of course I was worried the stuff would get in the eyes. So I had to be very careful. After a few weeks of this method, I have not seen them in years!
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 12:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• thank you all so much for your help i'm going to try everything that everyone said thank you all.
    24hourmom185

Comment by 24hourmom185 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I got lice from a friends daughter I watched a few years ago. I read somewhere to use coconut shampoo and rinse with vinegar. I WORKED!! I didn't comb it or anything, I just washed and rinsed twice a day for a few days and they were gone
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• when i had lice as a kid this was the routine and it worked wonders. It only took a week to get rid of it. Nix lice shampoo kit 3 times a day or more. Bag up all the bedding and clothes in garbage bags and tie them tight (it suffocates the lice and kills the eggs) leave them in the bags for at least 3 days and then wash the bedding and clothes to get the dead lice off. Also shampoo their hair with teetree oil (spelling?) because the lice HATE it. After and during every hair washing take a fine comb (one comes in the nix kit) and comb out all the lice you can. Shampooing the furniture and carpets with a teetree oil shampoo wouldn't hurt either but you really dont have to. :) hope that helps!
    sake1521

Answer by sake1521 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The key is not in what kind of shampoo you use initially, but in combing the nits out. Skip the plastic comb that comes with many kits and invest in a metal comb. And comb out every strand of hair. There is also a product you can by the not only loosens the nits, but also colors them bright pink so they are easier to detect, then you know when you have gotten them all out. Don't skimp on this process or you will be right back at it a week to 10 days later when those eggs hatch.  To prevent re-infestation you should also go through all of the precautionary measures you can like washing all bedding, vacuuming well around the bed and in the child's room, sofa, etc. bag up all stuffed animals in a trash bag and store for at least 2 weeks in the garage or basement. 

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010