How many couples?

My husband is the only in the house that works, but we make very little. how many of you have a one working family, that make it just fine with the basic's on most everything? Also, what do you do when you have that little extra?

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• If we have any extra we usually use it to go out to eat once a month.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We are a one income family- however, that one income is in the form of Disability. My Husband and I agreed when we got married that I would be a Stay at Home Mom, I think that is what God called me to do so he has always worked. However, he got hurt at work at the age of 26 and by 28 he was on life long disability. We live on his disability and any extra money I make. It makes things difficult sometimes but it is very doable. We believe that we are doing what God has called us to do and God continues to bless us for that.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This doesn't apply to me, but here is a bump. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My husband is the only one working bc I am starting school Monday for nursing and he sees no point in me working part time and going to school and having to pay for child care bc that would take up my check...my husband makes pretty decent money and he's tight with it but we go out to eat once a week and then go do something as a famlly on Friday or Saturday nights...like we went bowling tonight.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My husband and I do the out to eat thing, I like to get little things that my dd will love, but we're working on moving out in the next couple of months to a more expensive place, and it will make things a little tighter. I make blankets if they are in needs, and I love to eat healthier. Our move will put us closer to town, so there isn't extra gas money going out. but, how about for people that really want to connect to one another when they're doing things. Something random that you all did that you really remember and had an excellent time you had.
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I've been a SAHM for 10 years. We get by. In years past we made ends meet by living with family (my dad has a 4 bedroom house and is disabled...it worked for all of us). We just moved out on our own after living with him the last 3 years. We're a family of 7 and now that my husband has been working for his company for 10 years he's making enough that we'll be doing okay (once we get some furniture and stuff which will take some time). We save money by only having 1 car, renting a 3br house instead of the 4 or more bedrooms we need. When we have extra we buy the more expensive clothes and things the kids want (instead of the cheapest stuff we can find). We also go out to eat more often. Even now when we're broke we still find the money to go out at least once a week. Even at our poorest we ate out once a week at buffet places.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:12 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We are a one income family but sometimes we live like an two income family. I get about $1500 twice a year for financial aid. It goes to pay for bills, clothes and whatever else we need but it's a helpful extra $3000/year. We go out to eat once a week MAYBE.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my hubby is the only one who wrks
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I work inside the home and my husband brings in the money and even though it is not alot we make do and we do not ever go out to eat. we will do things for a day as a family like the day at the lake, borrowing his brothers boat.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I should make myself clear..when I say I work at home i do not mean I work at home and bring in money...My job is to be a stay at home mom and that there is plenty of work
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2010