How do you handle stress?

I have anxiety and panic disorders. I had been doing really well for a few years and all of a sudden. They are back. I am trying to find things to help me stay calmer in stores and public places better. My own kids are old enough not to have fits and longer but when I hear other kids fits. I freak out, So what can I do just to help calm myself down.

mizkriz73

Asked by mizkriz73 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Health

• I usually take a deep breath and count to 10. If that does not help then I remove myself from the area.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• In Counseling they taught us techniques to help us deal with anxiety/stress. They had us come up with a catch phrase. Mine is Life is good, I am good, Everything is good and I say it then count to five and start all over. Generally it will help me talk myself down. However, there are some times when my anxiety is really high that the phrase doesn't help me and I will just have to leave the area I am in. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:05 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I actually Pray and Humble myself...
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Singing works for me...find songs that bring back good times in your life...and just SING!!!!
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 1:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i have anxiety too. I smoke pot, it works like a charm & i don't get any ill side effects from it, except for i might eat a cookie then go to sleep. But, it's legal here. I have a prescription for it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• for me it helps when I tell myself... you are just having a panic attack calm down... just being aware with what is going on in my body helps me to re-focus...
    I've also been a part of groups that get together for the purpose of supporting each other during difficult times (like when husband was deployed, etc...) that was a HUGE help!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• While I don't suffer from panic attacks or anxiety, I don't like being in crowded situations...so I usually go shopping at off-peak times--mid day, late at night and never on weekends--without children! It's quieter, more enjoyable and I can think!

I recommend trying to find times to get your errands done when you are not rushed and are able to go solo! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I turn up the music really loud and sing along
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I pray, write, sing, dance, say a phrase that helps me feel better.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010