How do you all save up!?

We're going to be moving in the next couple of months and we're going to need a fridge! We pay the bills on time without a problem, but it seems like we never have extra when my husband gets done with whatever he does with the money he makes. When I hold on to the extra it normally lasts a little longer, and goes towards more important things. But, I can't get him to give me the dang money so we can save it up! What are ways that you save up for high expenses that you need, the little tricks and hints!?

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• talk it over with your husband. my boyfriend and I had all of our appliances break down at once (we had a dryer fire, our washer stopped draining water, and our fridge stopped working all within a month). We were able to get a good deal on an electorlux fridge at best buy as an open item (it's brand new but was a display) and payed over $1,000 less than the original cost. We were able to wait until after tax return to get the new washer and dryer and then when we needed a new car we had been living on the tax return money for a few months and my boyfriend had put away his paychecks (the actual paychecks, we didn't deposit them, that way there was no way to "accidentally" spend them) and he was able to afford his new car in full. Also, we pay the same amount of money on our bills every month even if they go up and down. We are almost $200 ahead on our electric bill and $300 ahead on our water and gas bill because of it. :)
    sake1521

Answer by sake1521 at 1:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Oh...and I would DEFINITELY recommend trying to purchase with cash and NOT on credit! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:50 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I save regularly ... every pay period ... so that if we have an emergency or unexpected expense coming our way, I already have the money saved up to pay for it.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We set it up to have money directly deposited to our savings account before we even get a paycheck. If we don't have it in hand, we don't blow it. I know that you can also set up an ING account online and pay into that every paycheck, but you have to be disciplined enough to pay into that account before you pay any other bills. It takes 3 to 4 days to transfer the money back to your checking account, so that will make sure that you don't spend it impulsively. We also have an emergency fund to pay for higher-cost emergencies like car repairs or appliance repairs.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Every payday, put a certain amount of money in a savings account and don't touch it. The best thing to do is pay with cash if you can.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• its hard but you have to PAY YOURSELF FIRST. im not the best at it but i try to put a certain amount away and any overtime, gift money i get,ect. it would be nice to buy a new refrig but if you cant you just cant. lots of people selling used ones and you can paint them too.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You know, if your credit isn't too bad, you could get one at an appliance store on credit. Then you can pay it off over time. It just depends on your credit.
    I don't know that I would go to a rent-to-own place because you'll be paying WAY more than it's worth but if that was your only choice...
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• (con't): that way if something like that comes up you don't have to worry about making all the bills on time since you are ahead. :) I hope that helps!
    sake1521

Answer by sake1521 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't know what your exact $$$ situation is but my hubby is under-employed and has been for about a year now...needless to so we don't have many spare $$$. Our washer & dryer went out a few months apart and we searched Craigslist and found them for a fraction of the cost it would be in an appliance store. We got the washer for $80 and the dryer for $60. Refrigerators are also in abundance on Craigslist. Good luck.

7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I make more money. I can show you how to make some extra money and get paid very quickly. Will send you a message.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 3:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2010