Premie girl now 10 months and not crawling

My daughter was born at 31 weeks at 2.3 pounds and is doing very well for what she went through. She is still under weight but is a strong cookie lol. She is 10 months and can not crawl yet... The doctors said it normal but I still worry. Any one having this problem? She can sit by herself but falls over when she gets tired.

i_am_ur_kittie

Asked by i_am_ur_kittie at 2:05 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• has the dr done any tests for disabilities?
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• she will develop at roughly the rate of when her due date was, so subtract 9 weeks from her age and you get her developmental age. She should be on par with about an 8 month old, and a lot of 8 month olds aren't crawling yet. I wouldn't worry, if your doc says she's fine, then she's probably fine :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My niece was the same way, she was born 5 weeks early my daughter was born 2 weeks later (2 weeks past my due sate) my daughter hit all her milestones on time where as my niece was always a month or so behind sometimes more. Go by the due date to figure out how on track she is dont use her birthdate. your daughter is 9 weeks behind but that is normal for her she is right on track for her actual age, i hope that makes sense. Also some children just crawl later than others, I have seen it with children i have babysat. I had one 10 month old who was walking and moving like crazy and another 10 month old who refused to crawl or even try to stand.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:10 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my niece was a premie and started everthing late crawling, walking, talkin ect....and now she is 13years old and on honor roll...play sports better than the boys...and is as healthy as can be...so dont u worry about that baby girl she going to surprise you all :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 2:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My daughter didnt walk until she was 1 1/2. Its completely normal for hr not to crawl. Take her to the doctor and have him test everything out:) Im sure shes fine
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 2:14 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone, and many babies never crawl. Touchpoints, by T. Berry Brazelton is a wonderful book on child development, through age five. You can learn more at http://www.touchpoints.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I had a 27 weeker a 1 1/2 lb. he walked at 17 mos and started crawling around 12 months - give her time!!! Are you involved i any early intervention services? Did you get SSI for her low birth weight? Is she starting the butt in the air move yet?
    BTW I usually agree with rkoloms mom and yes touchpoints is a good book but babies need to crawl for their development even if for awhile but you may find that once she crawls she will do it for longer than term baby..
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• good luck
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You need to base her development on her corrected age... which would make her 9 weeks younger... so 7-8 months old NOT 10 months.... and most kids are just starting to crawl at that age, and many don't crawl until they are a year old... and it's all within normal. If she isn't crawling by the time she is 12 months CORRECTED (14 months old) then I would talk to her pediatrician about it...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That would be in the range of normal for a nonpreemie.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2010