Should my child know about Gays or lesbiansand should I teach them abot it?

The other ay my 3 yr old said" Why are the mommies kissing over there" and I wasnt sure what to tel her. Should I tell her that Girls can like girls too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why not? Gays and lesbians are very common and there is nothing wrong with their lifestyle (go ahead and bash me if you want, but each person has the right to be happy).
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I told my kids that just like Mommy loves Daddy, sometime two men can love each other and two two women can love each other. And that you love who you love.
    We didn't make a big deal about it, but we have gay friends and didn't want our children freaking out when they found out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My sister saw it on TV once when younger and was all freaked out about it, I basically told her, in my sisterly tone as a teen brat," girls can like girls, guys can like guys get over it." LOL Boy did that open up discussion, the amazement lasted about an hour and then the next time she saw it it wasn't a big deal anymore.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If you don't have gay friends then yes, I agree with SleepingBeautee. My son is surrounded by the LGBT community, and he goes to pride events and has an aunt and an uncle who are gay, so that sort of thing doesn't phase him. Teaching tolerance is important, but living it is more important!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 2:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My son has been around my gay friends since the day he was born. I always answered his questions honestly and he never got upset or anything.
    jacejenkins

Answer by jacejenkins at 2:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We have many gay friends, so our daughter understands that this is normal, and families are not all made up of a mommy, a daddy and a child.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If she asks, you tell her what you are comfortable telling her. My children haven't ever been closed off from things that some wouldn't like to see. My younger boys know that a family can be 2 mommies, 2 daddies, or even 1 mommy and no daddy.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Tell her at her level. Girls can be in love with girls too.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Dont over answer the question just say she loves her like I love you and kiss your child and redirect the childs attection.
    mochalatta20

Answer by mochalatta20 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010