Why does he eat so much?

My DH can't understand why he can't lose weight, can't understand why he keeps gaining. He's 150 lbs over weight and does not exercise at all. But ever since he found out he is diabetic he eats 6 meals a day. Not small meals, but enough for 3 adults. He works long hours and I sent him with a bigger than normal size lunch and dinner to eat at work. He called me on the way home to say he was hungry so he stopped to get a burger and fries. And now he just got home and is eating another meal- a triple size serving of lasagna! He's eating himself to death. How can I help him stop this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Health

• I wish I had an answer for you. We are on strict grocery budget and I find myself not buying mine's favorite foods because they won't make it to the meal it was budgeted for. A bowl of cereal will turn into the box. Lately a peanut butter sandwich somehow means a third or more of a jar of PB. Not sure where he puts it. So frustrating.

I would suggest asking his DB DR refer to a nutritionist. 6 meals a day is sound advice butmaybe he doesn't realize what that mean exactly.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• He really needs to go to a doctor and have full medical testing done in regards to his cholesterol, weight, etc. He probably does not understand what he is doing to his body.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• take him to a nutritionist, a Dr. and a life coach if you can afford it. Changing your eating habits when they are that bad is super, duper hard. He'll need all the support he can get. You need to tell him though! When you see him eating like that, tell him that is why he is gaining weight. Don't just sit back & watch him slowly kill himself, make him aware of his gluttony. And pester him about it. Tell him you want to live a long life with him & that he is going to make that impossible if he doesn't stop pigging out.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• sounds like you need to do an intervention... if you have any other loved ones that really care about him and have noticed the same thing as you... have your kids write him a letter saying how they want him around, etc...
    basically a "this has to stop.... you need help.... we're here to help you..." kind of a meeting
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• All this is big money.
    Now that obesity is being looked at as a serious problem in America, perhaps we will be able to find a way to address it.
    Many of us have been trained to think of eating as a sign of love and comfort. We need to find a way to replace this.
    I do not have an answer.
    I believe that overeating is a sickness. Not a choice.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Eating too much or too little is linked to psychological issues that are brought on by stress, depression, anger, sadness and anxiety. Food is a often a comfort to people when they don;t know how to deal with what is happening around them. Chances are your husband's diagnosis has him deeply upset, and he doesn't know how to deal with his emotions.

You need to make an appointment with a diabetic specialist/nutritionist to discuss his diet, and TOGETHER learn how to adapt your diet and lifestyle to help him manage his diabetes and weight. You should also join a gym TOGETHER and work out TOGETHER--or at least schedule time everyday to take a walk around your neighborhood.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010