My cousin may lose his job...

He has worked with the same company for over 15 years and is a member of a major union group. He is pretty upset over the possible loss of his job, which he says that he does not know from one day to the next. I cannot imagine how hard that has to be. My question is this? As many of you know, I have wanted to move 'home' for a long time. IF my cousin and my Aunt, his Mom, do not have a very good income, I feel like I should move in with them since my retirement income is stable. I would LOVE to move back 'home' and be around the two most special people in my life. My cousin and I are one year apart and kind of grew up as brother & sister. My Aunt took care of me while her sister, my Mom was dying. Then she took me in and cared for me. I think it is only fair to help them in their time of need. I will respect their wishes, too. What do you think? Thanks for any input.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Check out all the facts before you make your final decision.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If you have a good relationship with them, and don't have to worry about anyone trying to run the show or tell everyone else what to do, it's probably a good idea. However, I suggest that before you move in, you make sure they know how much financial aid you can provide. I suggest paying a standard rent amount each month, something they can depend on when they budget their expenses, but leave enough for yourself that you can still take care of your own needs. Good luck!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:43 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Has he spoken with his union rep?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would say go ahead so long as you realisticly know what you're getting yourself in to. It's a lot different to live with someone as an adult than it is when you are a minor. Another option would be to live near them instead of with them. Best of luck whatever you decide.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I can show them how to make some cash very quickly. Will send you a message.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 3:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010